Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD08Rocker

Nov 8, 2012
Moira NY
Just got some old propane tanks and took the valves out.To turn into storage. And boy does that ethyl mercaptan stink! How do I get rid of the smell????????????????????????

Try a search on this, I recall seeing several threads that will help you.

How soon are you installing?

Mine sat out in my yard for a couple of months, open on bottom & top, with a funnel in the top hole on a vacuum hose that I kept pointed into the prevailing winds.

If you're installing right away, I'd just install. The system will be sealed anyway. You will get a pretty bad stink if you bleed air off afterwards, but if you hook a hose up to an air bleed point (ball valve up high?), you can hose the stink out through a window. I think the air will stink anyway, mercaptan or not.

I'd personally want to clean those tanks. I don't think it's just an odor. Can you see any sludge or junk in the bottom?

There are some recipes on this site that will help. Cleaning tanks can be quite a process from what I've read...

I did the same thing. I cut wound up needing to shorten mine so when I had it cut apart, I took to the car wash and washed out with the degreaser. Then I welded it up. I did notice a little smell when I drained after first test run.

I'd personally want to clean those tanks. I don't think it's just an odor. Can you see any sludge or junk in the bottom?

There are some recipes on this site that will help. Cleaning tanks can be quite a process from what I've read...

Yes, definitely clean if there is stuff or dirt in them - I was just speaking on smell. I did hose mine out with a pressure washer too, but I don't think I had to. Not much dirt came out and I didn't see anything in them with a light before I pressure washed, but did it anyway. Get a light in there & look. I had a skinny flourescent I could just squeeze in. If it's only the smell and you're installing right away, I wouldn't let just the smell hold me back from installing. If you see sludge or dirt on the bottom, you should be able to get most of that with a pressure washer.

Didn't someone on here use Oxyclean? I remember a discussion on this and someone smarter than me had the chemicals that Oxyclean will attach to and flow out with the rince water.
TSP would work to get the grease/sludge (if any) out but the Oxyclean gets the mercaptan out if I recall.

TS

I used simple green.

they still stunk.

fill em with water.. after you clean em. that'll stop it. :)

I used tide and oxyclean for a 500 gallon tank. I didn't use a very strong dose, but I left it in for a day. It worked pretty well. After a few rinses it had a minor amount of smell. After that I used two quarts of ammonia and let it sit half a day. After more rinsing it was about as good as it was going to get.

I had to get right at the tank opening to smell mercaptain. It was even better when the tank inside dried.

I was trying to prevent the welder that was going to weld the weld-o-lets from saying I aint working on that bomb.

I still say just worry about the crud & not the smell.

When I first brought my tanks home they stunk. I thought I'd get a little fun out of things first off with some flame on a long stick - that was a disappointment. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.