Smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina1327

Apr 23, 2015
New Jersey
Okay so this is the hottest the stove has run since installation and there is a smell coming from it, it reminds me of what an old oil furnance smelled like when I was little. It's not a bad smell but it is strong...almost smells like heat? I didn't notice any odor until yesterday and today?

Not to uncommon to have an odor of the finishes as the stove breaks in. Common practice to try and fire the stove outside before install to prevent the problem.

Not to uncommon to have an odor of the finishes as the stove breaks in. Common practice to try and fire the stove outside before install to prevent the problem.

Hmmmm...it's been running since September...however, this is the first time it's been running at the highest setting on and off since temperatures have dropped. It doesn't smell like smoke or overheating...but it's just something new that hasn't happened before yesterday.

Hmmmm...it's been running since September...however, this is the first time it's been running at the highest setting on and off since temperatures have dropped. It doesn't smell like smoke or overheating...but it's just something new that hasn't happened before yesterday.

IMO, Bioburner is right. It is because this is the highest temp you have run it, that it cooks some more of the finish. Not necessary to be a paint smell, just hot iron after manufacturing.

Reactions: bags
As Bio and Deezl have said. I do not think you have anything wrong. My stove was new last year and I thought everything was burned off since it ran for awhile too, and that stuff was burned off but when you heat it up more then the remaining stuff has this opportunity to burn off also or other things from the manufacturing process gets burned off that requires a higher temp to do so.

More than likely what you are smelling. Perfectly normal and it will go away. Might as well just crank it all the way up for a few and get it over with because it could happen again when you heat up even more for colder temps than now.

My stove has been in for , well this is the third season. This morning I cranked it up the hottest of this season and guess what it smelled like ? Heat, warm pellet dust, even a little more paint curing !! It always gives a slight different odor when I play catch up heat in the house. It's actually kind of a welcome odor though.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
Thank you all for the quick responses, it actually smells not so much now that it ran in higher heat mode all night. I think you guys were right on the money about it burning off stuff still.

So how did the Serenity do with the colder temps.Marina

So how did the Serenity do with the colder temps.Marina

Well, it's keeping the house at about 71/72 maybe a little colder upstairs....which is colder than I would like it, but in its defense its a 100+ year old drafty house with no insulation so I can't complain. I just ordered some weather stripping for the windows and doors so I am going to see if that helps with the drafts. I am contemplating foam insulation in the spring

Reactions: rich2500
What type of square footage are you doing with it on two floors? Just curious about the Castle stoves. Seem to be a decent bang for the buck.

Same question for you Rich? Thanks

What type of square footage are you doing with it on two floors? Just curious about the Castle stoves. Seem to be a decent bang for the buck.

Same question for you Rich? Thanks

I think my house is around 879-900 square feet. I have a full basement, but I have the door closed so it's not heating there. I have a living room and kitchen downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs/bathroom and a sizeable walk in closet---which the closet door is closed.

Insulation and sealing drafts is the key. I was anal when I added on and basically rebuilt the existing part here. I still find weaknesses or issues. One was at the threshold of a new door. Nice little cold weather gap. Fixed but went a couple of winters with it unknowingly.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I'm heating just shy of 1300 sq.ft. single floor , open floor plan,well insulated, my stove has never had to leave heat setting 1 to be at least 72 in the house.

Reactions: Marina1327 and bags
Definitely if your place is drafty and not insulated well. It will make a big difference. I am intrigued by these little stoves and reading reviews. They seem to be a great and fairly simple little dude. Pretty cool and I really like the looks. I see them sold at HD online but out of stock and Amazon also. I read some of Rich's threads as well. Last year $765 bucks at Ace Hdwe is an awesome price. I'm going to dig in some more.

Where did you buy or what other places sell them? I gotta run but will be back. This little unit has me thinking and re-thinking somewhat. I might have a place for one of these but i am not doing anything for awhile yet.

So insulation is the key here....I have to bite the bullet and do it in the spring
Insulation and windows, old single pane windows just radiate cold in and leak air too.

Reactions: Marina1327
Definitely if your place is drafty and not insulated well. It will make a big difference. I am intrigued by these little stoves and reading reviews. They seem to be a great and fairly simple little dude. Pretty cool and I really like the looks. I see them sold at HD online but out of stock and Amazon also. I read some of Rich's threads as well. Last year $765 bucks at Ace Hdwe is an awesome price. I'm going to dig in some more.

Where did you buy or what other places sell them? I gotta run but will be back. This little unit has me thinking and re-thinking somewhat. I might have a place for one of these but i am not doing anything for awhile yet.

I got mine from Ace hardware online with a coupon. Total it came to 879 with the taxes, it was delivered to the local store and I picked it up or rather my brother did. They cancelled my first order which I heard is common, but I called customer service and had a hissy and I got it shipped with no problem.

Reactions: bags and bogieb
I got mine from Ace hardware online with a coupon. Total it came to 879 with the taxes, it was delivered to the local store and I picked it up or rather my brother did. They cancelled my first order which I heard is common, but I called customer service and had a hissy and I got it shipped with no problem.
See, you ladies get away with the hissy stuff.

Got mine from a dealer 1-1/2 hr. away because I wanted to see the stove in person before buying, at that time there was very little info out there on the Serenity.I was the first person on here to buy one,somebody had to be the guinea pig ;) . I had a pdvc for 10 years prior and the Serenity shines in every way over that stove, I"m not bashing the Englander it served me well for 10 years but I wouldn't buy another pdvc.

I bought my serenitys at ACE as well.Though I ordered them to be delivered to the local store front so I could view them before accepting, I also got them on sale for 100 off. $899 was my price in Oregon with no tax.

See, you ladies get away with the hissy stuff.
And if that doesn't work, we can always cry ;). Seriously though, when we have a hissy, we don't let up so they will do anything to make us go away. You guys get mad and go off in a huff, or try to stay all reasonable, either way they don't have to do a dang thing to get rid of you.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Seriously though, when we have a hissy, we don't let up

Tell me about it, I have a wife and three adult daughters that we raised !!

And if that doesn't work, we can always cry ;). Seriously though, when we have a hissy, we don't let up so they will do anything to make us go away. You guys get mad and go off in a huff, or try to stay all reasonable, either way they don't have to do a dang thing to get rid of you.
Ya got that right.

Tell me about it, I have a wife and three adult daughters that we raised !!
Ouch! Poor guy.... LOL! Surprise you can communicate anything other than OK and Yes, Dear.....;lol;lol

Reactions: alternativeheat
Ya got that right.

Ouch! Poor guy.... LOL! Surprise you can communicate anything other than OK and Yes, Dear.....;lol;lol

I consider myself blessed with these women LOL ! Two gorgeous grand daughters too, one in second year college, the other graduates high school this spring.. Amazing how time flies.

Meanwhile one thermometer says it's 16 out this morning and the other says 21, one is right !! But it doesn't matter which one, it's 73 in here !!

Status
Not open for further replies.