Smelling smoke from my enviro m55 cast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heres some pics

Attachments

• enviro 1.jpg
    enviro 1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 474
hey I just sent a pic but was just messing around didn't think it would go through. I work on getting better ones

new pics hope it works

Attachments

• P1010292.jpg
    P1010292.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 394
I have found leaks around the combustion exhaust fan discharge. It can be found between the fan housing and the connection plate. If you have trouble finding it I can include photos.
The tell tale for me was ash and obvious markings left from hot gas flow on the metal.

kykel said:
Finally Fixed the smoke smell. Pulled the stove out and removed the exhaust adapter. Was unable to remove the actual adapter from the stove flange(due to silicone) but the stove has a nice design to remove the flang from the stove. One bolt and it comes off. Scraped off the silicone on the outside and examined the adapter. Looking on the inside of the adapter I could see a seal completely around the exhaust flange. Started doubting that this was the problem. Anyway I sealed inside again and sealed outside of adapter including the space between the inner and outer wall. I used the rutland 2000 Degree black stove and fireplace cement. When I reinstalled the adapter and flange to the blower flange I noticed that where the blower flange and blower housing meet there is a black silicone sealing the two together, and there was a piece of silicone missing on the top half. I believe this was the problem all along. Well the stove has been running for an hour now and no smell what so ever.

Ready to start burning full time.

I did a nice long burn on high this weekend but it didn't solve my problem. The paint must be fully cured by now and the smell only comes out of the far left hole on the blower. I must be having the exact same problem you were having so I'm going to give the installer a call and have him reseal the adapter.

jbibb

If you open the left panel and look at the exhaust blower you will see its bolted to the blower housing. if you follow the housing to the flat square flange that the exaust pipe hooks up to it should have calk around it. Mine was missing some caulk on the top half and the convection blower was sucking the smell through tha left side tubes.

easy fix for me and no smell since. I dont know if the steel m55 is the same as the cast as far as how the internal parts are layed out.

good luck with your stove

sorry i just realized you have the cast also so look at that spot. Curious to see if its the same problem I had

I also have a stove manufactured by Sherwood Industries (VistaFlame VF100) which was missing caulk IN THE SAME SPOT (I found it last week while sealing up the venting). Though, to be fair, it wasn't on the top--it was on the bottom.

kykel said:
sorry i just realized you have the cast also so look at that spot. Curious to see if its the same problem I had

I'm going to look into this as soon as I get home from work.

How did you open the left panel?

I found this picture in the technical manual and I can see the area that you're referring to. If my problem is the same one you were having it looks like it could be an easy fix.

The installer is scheduled to come take a look at the issue on Friday but I'm hoping to resolve the it myself before then.

Attachments

• Inside Stove.jpg
    Inside Stove.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 340
jbibb
The spot is on the other side of the flange that you see in the picture. Mine is all silver in color with black caulk around it

Good Luck

Kykel,

This is the same exact spot that I have a leak. Caulking today.

Hey guys, I've got an update.

I took the left panel off and could see the black caulking over the silver flange. The hopper makes it impossible to see the right side but from what I could see everything looked like it was sealed pretty good. So I blacked out the room and got out the flashlight.

I saw the smoke!! For the first time I could see it instead of just smelling it. It looked like it was coming from the bottom of the T where the piece pops off for cleaning. I think that if it were coming from the inside where the flange is it would have been sucked back in before it could have ever made it out to the T, right?

Anyway, I used some of the Rutland 500 and caulked up the T and also around the adapter. I'll let that dry then fire it up again.

I'm really hoping my problem is solved and will post an update shortly.

the tee cap can leak if you didnt fix it you might want to take the cap off and re-seat it and then silicone it

Use 3M high temperature aluminum tape to seal Tee caps a lot easier to remove to clean than silicon.

JBiBBs5 said:
snip ... I think that if it were coming from the inside where the flange is it would have been sucked back in before it could have ever made it out to the T, right?

... snip

If where the exhaust blower mounts to the stove isn't sealed smoke can be drawn in by the convection fan, the combustion blower will also expel smoke because the pressure can be positive along a portion of the flange.

Your leak doesn't have to be in the same place others have a leak.

The thing about any smoke leaks in the lower portion of the exhaust system is they are close enough to the convection blower for it to just suck the smoke in and push it through the heat exchangers.

Im glad you both found your leaks. funny that one was in the same spot as mine. Im finally getting to enjoy mine. Keep me posted on how your fire burns in the pot. Mine is barely visible in the burn pot at times. I think this is due to the pellets im burning. Much nicer flame at the dealers stove.

kykel said:
Im glad you both found your leaks. funny that one was in the same spot as mine. Im finally getting to enjoy mine. Keep me posted on how your fire burns in the pot. Mine is barely visible in the burn pot at times. I think this is due to the pellets im burning. Much nicer flame at the dealers stove.

Not sure about your pellets, But I have Pro-pellets and Somersets (SP). The pro-P make a much larger flame.

I get a large flame on the 3 setting using stove chow. Will post a picture.

So the leak ended up being worse than I originally thought. I realized that the T was leaking from the bottom (underneath) which I didn't even think was possible. It's all taped up now but looks awful as you can see from the attached pic.

Fired the stove back up but could still smell smoke so I went leak hunting again. Sure enough, the adapter was leaking too. Now that's all taped up and I let it burn all night. When I woke up the smoke scent was minimal but it still is there.

I'm really getting frustrated with all of this and the installer is coming back on Friday. At this point, there's just no way I'm going to be satisfied until I smell no smoke at all. I've got a 6 month old son in the house and I feel awful every time I wake up and smell smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_0223 (960x1280).jpg
    IMG_0223 (960x1280).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 440
jibb

I feel your pain. I m fortunate because i direct vented straight out and then added the tee and pipe. If it leaks out side im not to concerned. I put a thin bead of caulk around the first section that was inside the house where the pipes meet. also make sure the bolt that holds the exhaust flange together is tight.

Hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.