Smelling smoke from my enviro m55 cast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JBibbs, it looks like you have DuraVent pipe, if so, you have to seal every joint and seam with silicone or high heat tape. Even then, you might be getting a leak from the stove adapter from in between the inner pipe and outer pipe, as the smoke backs up from the leaky joints. Its a PITA to put silicone in that gap of the adapter when attached to the stove. And after you get done sealing and taping, it might not look pretty.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with it. I have been there and know the frustration.

Kykel, thanks for the info on the flange collar, I will detach my stove this weekend and will check out that connection as i still get a faint smokey smell sometimes. If i remember the camera I will post a pic.

vinny where on th island are you from.

I know what you mean about caulking between the inner and outer tube on the adapter. I took mine off ( easy with the one bolt system) and it was much easier.

Love this stove!

Kykel, I live in Queens, NY but have a house in Eastern LI in Mastic where my parents live. I got them a pellet stove as it was the cheapest option since they live on a limited budget as they are almost retired. I am there on the weekends doing work and upkeep. But really, I like to mess with the pellet stove and watch the fire.

Where are you?

I dug up a thread I did about cleaning my stove and I think it has a backside picture of the flange collar.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/76074/

Vinny
Im in Rocky point

I looked at your pics and the flange on the silver blower housing is where mine was leaking from. I dont see any silicone on yours in the pic.

Kykel, Rocky Point is supposed to be colder because of the North shore. And it looks windy. However, I like Long Island sound, and the views of some of the houses there look amazing.

Thanks for the advice on the flange, I never thought about it until now. When I redo my install I will reseal everything.

I'm a huge fan of eastern long island. That mostlynhas to do with wine, but it sure is pretty too.

Seeing as you guys are also owners of M55, can I ask you if your glass always seems to get soot covered in the same pattern? The soot on my glass seems to start in the lower right hand corner and run diagonally up to the left hand top corner. Also seems to getvsooty after just two or three days of running. I'm wondering if this is related to the air flow in the stove much as the flame in the left side of the burn pot.

I'll bet if you fella's all took pictures of your glass after 2 or 3 days of burning they would be gosh darn close! Although it doesn't keep the glass completely clean, It does a good job of showing you all the fire.

Is this your very first stove's?

First stove here. Just 20 days and 5 bags in.

I would bet they are all the same. I read the post about that complaint about the glass. Then witnesed it at the dealer and then on mine when I finally
bought mine and started burning. Kind of a semi circle from bottom right up to the left corner. The rest of the glass stays clean. This is my second stove. first was a bay
window and all the glass got black so half the glass clean is an improvement in my book. Id like to know if there is a stove that doesn't get the glass dirty. anyway Im loving this stove. if all I have to do is clean the glass its a homerun in my book and it seems to be the case with this agatater in the burn pot. I just have to resist the urge to clean. My old stove was once a day

Yep, have had my M55 for a year and same pattern...a "swish" from the bottom right going up and left. I suspect it is because the exhaust exits the left bottom side of the stove. I've been playing around with ways to change the airflow thru the stove, but haven't found anything that makes a significant effect yet.

On the subject of cleaning. I've got the insert and I clean once a week. Mostly just to empty the ashpan and clean the glass. But I could go a LOT longer if I wanted to because the burn pot isn't really all that dirty after a week.

Also, use a 3" wire brush wheel for cleaning the burn pot. Get the one that has the stiffest wire bristles. You will be amazed at how quickly and easily this works to clean out the burn pot. Yes, you will have to scrape some of the carbon, but this gets about 95% of the junk out.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 244
Same burn pattern on my glass... Only burned through 6 or 7 bags of pellets, so I thought it was a dirty burn! Maybe not.

kykel and anyone else that has had a stove previously will be good examples. You'd be lucky to see the fire after a day or 2. My 2 previous stoves it would be a daily chore. Clean the pot and whip the glass. Got old real fast, Now its once a week whether it needs it or not. Don't miss the other stoves I had! Not one tiny bit.

The air wash on these stoves are up there with the best you will find. So the first stove peeps consider yourselves spoiled! You'd really cry if you had to deal with some of the other units out there. Grass is much greener on our side of the fence, But if you have a friend/relative with another brand. Compare there airwash with yours just for giggles.

If I ever started to do stove reviews. The airwash would be one I would now be critical of cus I'm spoiled too!

flynfrfun,

That's cheating! ;-) But a good tip, I have an air powered Die Grinder. That and the wire brush do a nice job on getting the buggers out of the liner. Another tip for the others: Once a season I take my(liner, fire grate and burnpot) over to a buds hose and use his sand blaster on them. Both sure beat the scraper/chisel routine. That and some hi temp black paint(not the liner though) make them like new for the summer layover.

j-takeman said:
kykel and anyone else that has had a stove previously will be good examples. You'd be lucky to see the fire after a day or 2. My 2 previous stoves it would be a daily chore. Clean the pot and whip the glass. Got old real fast, Now its once a week whether it needs it or not. Don't miss the other stoves I had! Not one tiny bit.

The air wash on these stoves are up there with the best you will find. So the first stove peeps consider yourselves spoiled! You'd really cry if you had to deal with some of the other units out there. Grass is much greener on our side of the fence, But if you have a friend/relative with another brand. Compare there airwash with yours just for giggles.

If I ever started to do stove reviews. The airwash would be one I would now be critical of cus I'm spoiled too!

flynfrfun,

That's cheating! ;-) But a good tip, I have an air powered Die Grinder. That and the wire brush do a nice job on getting the buggers out of the liner. Another tip for the others: Once a season I take my(liner, fire grate and burnpot) over to a buds hose and use his sand blaster on them. Both sure beat the scraper/chisel routine. That and some hi temp black paint(not the liner though) make them like new for the summer layover.

HaHa...I'm spoiled, I feel so special!!! LOL

j-takeman said:
Eatonpcat said:

;-) You must find a friend that owns a Breckwell(model does not matter) just to see how good you got it! :cheese:

Hey someone say they want to burn low and grungy, just gum up the venting or insert a few toys into your air intake and you too can have nice grungy glass, even with a decent air wash system.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Eatonpcat said:

;-) You must find a friend that owns a Breckwell(model does not matter) just to see how good you got it! :cheese:

Hey someone say they want to burn low and grungy, just gum up the venting or insert a few toys into your air intake and you too can have nice grungy glass, even with a decent air wash system.

Once the cold sets in I will be a low and grungy burner too! Stove on hi/lo and it might be on hi only a few hours here and there. Still goes all week long and still see the fire. Guess I need to add some toys in there? :cheese:

Right on j.

Half clean glass is better than no clean glass.

kykel said:
Right on j.

Half clean glass is better than no clean glass.

Something else you need to know is that there is a huge difference between running on low and running on high/low even with the stove being in low a lot of the time, and that I never said that I can't see my flame even on low, just that the glass gets good and grungy that way.

smokey

I was burning the saranac before My M55cast. The glass got dirty but I always saw the fire. Just part of burning. Nothings perfect.

kykel said:
smokey

I was burning the saranac before My M55cast. The glass got dirty but I always saw the fire. Just part of burning. Nothings perfect.

I heard some pretty happy comments from Hudson River owners once they got the bugs worked out of them. I never asked about the air wash and how it performed. Quess I should have!

I also remember SmokeyTheBear saying he had some really long burns before cleaning. Again never ask how long before no fire was seen?

j-takeman said:
kykel said:
smokey

I heard some pretty happy comments from Hudson River owners once they got the bugs worked out of them. I never asked about the air wash and how it performed. Quess I should have!

I also remember SmokeyTheBear saying he had some really long burns before cleaning. Again never ask how long before no fire was seen?

It was 26 bags on 1- (low feed, low feed low trim, 1&4 lights on the panel) IIRC and I just couldn't stand letting it go any more, no problem seeing the fire and the double flag pattern, I shut it down and cleaned it.

If you turn the stove up a lot of the grunge will actually clear off by itself.

The smoke smell is gone!! I used aluminum tape on every seam. Had to use a few strips on the adapter.

Everytime I taped up one seam I could see the smoke really start to pour out of the next one.

Now that there is no smoke smell I couldn't be happier. The house is nice and toasty and the wife loves it, maybe even more than I do.

Thanks for the help guys.

JBiBBs5 said:
The smoke smell is gone!! I used aluminum tape on every seam. Had to use a few strips on the adapter.

Everytime I taped up one seam I could see the smoke really start to pour out of the next one.

Now that there is no smoke smell I couldn't be happier. The house is nice and toasty and the wife loves it, maybe even more than I do.

Thanks for the help guys.

What kind of venting was used on your install?

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. I believe it's duravent pro pipe.

I was interested in purchasing an Enviro M55, but after reading all these issues with smoke, I am turned off to it. I am not handy and there is no way I am taking a stove apart and sealing leaks, especially after spending thousands of dollars on it. I am on Long Island also and looking for a good dealer that will sell me a stove with the least issues. Are there any out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.