Smoke after startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtoldcat

Oct 26, 2016
vermont
Hey All! New to the forum but not new to pellet stoves.Her is the problem:Stove is a Harmon XXV,Pipe is 3" Have a tailpipe into a T,5' vertical run,90 degree elbow.Into a 6" chimney flue,2' horizontal run and then a 90 degree elbow up a 8" chimney flue.The problem that I have is on startup I get NO smoke smell in the house.After about an hour of running hot,and/or i tun the temp down on the stove,I get the dreaded smoke smell. I can assure you that the pipes are not leaking. Any Ideas?

Couple of questions: Did you install an outside air kit (OAK)?
How tightly is the gap sealed AROUND the 3" pipe?
You are pushing a LOT of smoke into the 8" chimney.
Once your stove uses the inside air for combustion, it may be
drawing the air needed back thru your chimney.
Any gaps between the 3" pipe & the wood stove connector
pipe will allow that air to come in.
That could be your smoke smell source.

Couple of questions: Did you install an outside air kit (OAK)?
How tightly is the gap sealed AROUND the 3" pipe?
You are pushing a LOT of smoke into the 8" chimney.
Once your stove uses the inside air for combustion, it may be
drawing the air needed back thru your chimney.
Any gaps between the 3" pipe & the wood stove connector
pipe will allow that air to come in.
That could be your smoke smell source.
No OAK.The seal is very tight...I bought an adapter 3" to the 6" thimble. I don't beleive that my house is that air tight. I do have window that I could crack and see if that makes a difference. It just doesn't make sense that it only happens when I turn the stove down.When you turn the stove down does the exhaust fan slow down?

Status
Not open for further replies.