Smoke Chamber for Outdoor Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mferrier1

Nov 9, 2020
Texas
I am about to start construction of an concrete block outdoor fireplace. I am wondering if a corbeled masonry smoke chamber that gets narrower is necessary or can it be a rectangular smoke chamber with a flat concrete top that has a circular opening for the flue pipe? I plan on leaving a lot of space between the top of the firebox and top of the smoke chamber to allow the smoke to accumulate.

will my design create enough draft or will the smoke come out of the firebox?

note - this will not be connected to or near the house. It will be in a large open field.

If you do a search, someone built one last year or so.

Here's the earlier tread. I'd IM member alivegas99.

Here's the earlier tread. I'd IM member alivegas99.

Thanks. My question is whether I need to narrow the smoke chamber to channel the smoke or will it work if it just converts from a smoke chamber to a flue pipe - without narrowing.

Thanks. My question is whether I need to narrow the smoke chamber to channel the smoke or will it work if it just converts from a smoke chamber to a flue pipe - without narrowing.
That depends on a lot of things so it's hard to say. If your chimney and smoke chamber are tall enough in relation to the fireplace opening area then it will probably work ok. But there is a reason most smoke chambers are tapered - less turbulence means better draw and less risk of backpuffing.

As gthomas said it may work with enough height. But I wouldn't take the chance of it doesn't work fixing it after the fact will be a pita. You are lining the firebox atleast with fire brick right?