smoke coming into room any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ebenezergb

Jan 30, 2010
selby uk
Hi All

We have just moved into a property with an open fire but have a problem. On certain days smoke seems to alternate between up the chimney and into the room. I assume that it's a weather problem.

I have had the chimney swept. I have the vent under the fire fully open and grate and ashpan is clean.

Is their any solution to this or equipment to add to solve this?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Ebenezer

Sounds like a negative pressure situation. Air from outside is trying to find its way in to equalize the pressure, and the easiest way in is the chimney. Many people suggest opening a window in the room with the stove/fireplace to see if this resolves the problem. Google "negative pressure" and see if you get some helpful ideas. Welcome to the forums.

Possible to raise the chimney? Possible to warm up the chimney before starting the fire? Does the chimney have a straight run or are there bends in it? How tall is the over all height?

Agree with the other posters, need a little more info.
Height of Chimney? Any bends/elbows, etc..
What happens if you warm the flue by taking some newspaper and lighting to get the draft going?
(My MIL is from Yorkshire I believe)
Welcome aboard

ebenezergb said:
Hi All

We have just moved into a property with an open fire but have a problem. On certain days smoke seems to alternate between up the chimney and into the room. I assume that it's a weather problem.

I have had the chimney swept. I have the vent under the fire fully open and grate and ashpan is clean.

Is their any solution to this or equipment to add to solve this?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Ebenezer

Add a couple feet to the chimney

Many thanks to all replies.

I will try your suggestions.

We live in a bungalow, so I think the chimney hight will be about 20-25ft straight up.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.