smoke coming out of damper in H300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woody22

Dec 10, 2008
new york
anyone ever have smoke coming out of hole around damper control when starting a fire. This happened for the first time today. Quite a bit of smoke. Any answers appreciated.

Nope, never had it happen. Could the liner be slightly clogged and back preasure or was it windy? There are a lot of people smarter then me that should be able to figure this one out. Good luck.

It happened yesterday on startup.......cold chimney/flu plus swirling wind.....no big deal, as soon as she started heating up, the draw took over.

Hasn't happened to me yet but I once I read that the greater the temperature difference of flu temp and ambient temp, the greater the draw. With temp near 40 degree's and flu temps close to ambient, this could be the reason you experienced this. I always light a small firebrick and let that get going before adding kindlin.

I have lit mine at upper 48 degrees outside to take out dampness, not sure if it was clam or not? Hopefully that is all it was. I even have a short, like 15 ft chimney.

Yeah it wasnt really cold here today just chilly and damp and just was doing probably the last fire for the season. So the temperature outside was probably not that different. WE only got this stove about a month ago after getting rid of the Montpelier. So far it has been really easy to operate and there have been no problems. But it really was coming out. Filled up my room in a short time and the damper was fully open. Hopefully just a rare event and will not happen again.

Check your cap / flue for blockage. First thing to plug up is the cap usually and if there is enough restriction it will cause smoke to backup into the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.