smoke coming out while loading..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
hey guys, this is the first night i have had a pile of smoke coming out while loading..I have the air wide open...does anyone know where the air travels inside the stove from the outside air inlet? right before i lit the stove i scooped out some ash..this is the first time i scoop from the middle towards the front..is that where the air travel is? in the front by the door? thanks

All of the primary air comes in from the airwash over the glass and through the little hole in the thing that sticks up in the middle of the front of the stove.

The 30 can be a little draft sensistive when it comes to what you're speaking about. Crack the door and leave it there for a minute before opening. This will allow the firebox to clear and should prevent smoke from entering the home.

Corie said:
The 30 can be a little draft sensistive when it comes to what you're speaking about. Crack the door and leave it there for a minute before opening. This will allow the firebox to clear and should prevent smoke from entering the home.

No kidding. The of the wall of flame coming up out of the front of it the other night when I opened the dooor got my attention real quick.

Anybody know where you can get stick on eyebrows online?

We are having the same smoke problem here the last few weeks. Never had trouble with it before, have been burning for 2 years, and have cleaned the chimney twice a year. Problem is the roof is covered with snow (as is everything else) so can't get up there to poke at the cap for some time. It is a pain in the arse, reloading has to be done VERY quckly, and you can't open it up again to move a piece or poke at it or anything, or whoosh, a big puff of smoke, unless we are down to hot coals. On the plus side, we have always had an overly strong draft, and our wood burns up very fast. The loads seems to last a little longer now. I guess every cloud has a silver lining. Is there something it can be besides the cap getting plugged up? I was wondering if the over 6 feet of snow we've had in the past few months could have anything to do with it.

We have a similar problem with smoke coming out when loading. We have a Hearthstone Homestead that we have only had for two months. We put a level on it and the back of stove top is about a 1/4 inch lower than the front. Anyone know if this could cause a smoke issue?

It could, has it always done this? What is your chimney system like?

Status
Not open for further replies.