smoke comming in side vents Striker C160 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rad3110

Oct 11, 2007
Long Island NY
Hello all on my insert I have two openings on each side of the insert 1inch by 2 1/2 inches id say. Today for the first time when I opened the door smoke came out those opening. Close the stove door it stopped open it it started again. My draft rod was open fully when I opened the door. I was burning exceptionally dry pine pallets at the time. I believe it to be a draft problem? Striker C160 insert with approx 20ft of 6inch flex liner with Ventinox 6 inch off set adapter. Burning for about a month without incident untill today. Also I was able to hit the illusive 500 degree mark the other say on the top of the insert. Regular burn temp 350 to 375. Thanks

Is that gap between the insert and your surround? Or part of the insert? Sounds like some kind of negative pressure problem. Can you crack a window near the insert and see if it still smokes?

Where are those holes you are talking about? Can you upload a pic or point to them on an online pic?

As far as the temp, more info needed also. Is this on top of a single wall part of the insert? If so, it may indicate an under draft, but 20 feet of liner seems enough for most cases. Tell us more about therm location, etc.

I have a striker as well, but mine is not an insert. Love this stove, it heats so well.

My stove has the same openings you talk about, although they are on the top. On my stove the openings are the space between the stove body and a steel surround of the stove. I cannot see what is between the surround and the actual body of the stove

Anyways, there have been a couple situations where I have had a small amount of smoke come out of them just as you are having.....thing is, I cannot remember what was the cause. If I remember correctly, it was relatively warm outside, I had just had new windows installed in the house and they were all closed.

Since this only was an isolated incident or two, I never tried to track down the exact cause.

I have the c160 insert, I do not see any holes or vents on my unit, and have never had any smoke coming out of the steel.

Remember these Country stoves have the insulation blanket on top of the upper fire bricks, its good to check that the blanket is not blocking the flue opening. I removed that blanket from my stove

The openings are on the top rear of the stove. Taking a picture will not help since it is between the stove and the suround. I pace my thermometer on the top left side of the stove. I would be interested in knowing what other stove owners average temaratures are. Thanks for input. I will monitor and perhaps give Lennox tech support a call. Ill let you guys know the out come.

Have you contacted the dealer you purchased the insert from or the current local Country stove dealer? Perhaps they have experienced this. Lennox like many / most stove manufactures depend on the local dealer to be the first line of defense on these type of issues.

I'm confused....how can they be on the rear of the stove and yet near the door? Or even visible if a surround is on?

My guess is that the stove is not defective, as that is unusual. More likely the holes are either, as the other owner says, between the convection and radiant part of the stove....or, that they are possibly a "full time" input for the secondary air, In either case, it might not be impossible for smoke to "back up" through them if more smoke is being produced than the chimney can pull.

Pallet wood is one hint that this might be the case.

The question of whether a block-off metal plate was installed at the top of the fireplace opening, and tightly sealed....that is an important question, so it would behoove you to know the answer.

Hi Craig the thermometer is on the top of the stove, the air inlets are the left and right side located towards the rear of the stove( must have something to do with O2 control). A block off plate was installed. oddly enough this anomoly has not reoccurred again. Definately one to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.