smoke comming out the sides of the stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty4724

Mar 15, 2011
derry,nh
I bought a harman invincible rs the first of Feb. It was refurbished. It worked great for the past month and a half and 2 days ago I was in the other room smelled smoke went in and there was smoke pouring out of the sides of the stove and it kind of smelled like burnt plastic.. I turned the stove to off and waited a few hours the feed kept spilling little bits out so it took a while, I then took the rest of the pellets out of the hope so it would have no way to keep feeding the stove went out and I left it for 12hrs and came home from work to find out both blowers never shut down and was pumping cold air into the house? :( the other times I have shut it down to clean it i would turn it to off and in about 40 min it would be out and the blowers would be off? Any ideas what might be the problem? :(

On some of the stoves we sell, thats normally a sign that the convection blowers crapped out, overheated the stove and melted wires. But you say they were still blowing. I'd be tearing that thing apart and looking for the source of the burning plastic smell.

was your status light blinking on control board? the Inv has a little switch mounted on the feeder body that gets actuated by the cam arm on the feeder mechanism. If the switch is bad, or the cam arm doesn't make contact, the unit will continue to feed...basically forever (2 blinks on status light). Smoke "pouring" out the sides is very strange. Door gasket ok? YOu could have a leak in the exhaust somewheres or a gasket is missing in the combustion section...still hard to get smoke to come out if the negative pressure environment is there.

Yes the status light was blinking :) your post was helpful thank you and as for the burning plastic smell someone told me its possible a piece of the bag might have gotten in there..?

If bag got in "there" then it still doesnt explain how the smoke got into the room. Also, a chunk of plastic small enough to fit thru the auger would not create that kind of issue. Still not making sense to me.

Yea I'm still trying to figure that out :/ hopefully I will have more time to take it all apart this weekend thank you for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.