Smoke/Creosote Smell in House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyf0614

Jul 17, 2007
I recently purchased a 35 year old home that had an insert Wood Burning Stove. Unfortunately the previous owner never had the chimney or the stove cleaned. As you can imagine, it was quite a disaster, as the smell somewhat lingered in the family room where the stove is. After the cleaning, the smell has gone down a lot, but still lingers. I have a deodorizer in the stove now to help with the smell which works pretty well, but every once in a while, I get a good whiff of the smoke smell. Until I make a decision on which new stove I want, does anyone have any other suggestions on trying to get rid of the smell. Any old wive's tails that you guys may know about that may work help reduce the smell???

You might be getting some reverse draft action, which would pull the smell down into your living space. The way to prevent that would be to close the damper (if it has one), or stuff some fiberglass insulation up into the pipe or chimney. Just remember to take it out before you try to fire it up again.

And burn a few candles.

Eric Johnson said:
You might be getting some reverse draft action, which would pull the smell down into your living space. The way to prevent that would be to close the damper (if it has one), or stuff some fiberglass insulation up into the pipe or chimney. Just remember to take it out before you try to fire it up again.

Unfortunately I don't have a damper, I will definitely try and stuff some insulation.

Leave a big note on and/or in the stove reminding you not to start it up before removing the blockage.

BeGreen said:
Leave a big note on and/or in the stove reminding you not to start it up before removing the blockage.

Absolutely. I'll leave a note on the inside. Hopefully it works.

"Hey whats this paper in here.... oooo I left it so I could start my first fire with it"

heh

jtp10181 said:
"Hey whats this paper in here.... oooo I left it so I could start my first fire with it"

heh

...Sounds funny but I can see it happeneing...lol Sure fire way to make it 'idiot proof'??? (airplane buffs will apreciate this one) A red banner tail with the wording "REMOVE BEFORE FIRING"...lol

Keyman,

I used to do alot of flight instruction and more than once Ive seen a cessna rolling down the runway with the pitot tube covered with a big red remove before flight ribbon. The problem with making things idiot proof is they keep building better idiots.

Box of baking soda or two in the stove does a decent job as an odor eater

you might also look at maybe cracking a window near to the stove on days when the smell starts up , this will alleviate the negative pressure buildup in the house and not pull the smell down the flue as much , also on days when you are dryinig a lot of clothes,open a window as well , dryers usually intake inside air and exhaust outside, causing moderately higher negative house pressure.

a more perminant solution would be a "free air ventilator" such as the "condar" ASV-90. you can read up on this device at www.condar.com

hope this helps ya

mike ESW

Status
Not open for further replies.