Smoke/draft issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Red

Jan 21, 2016
Onondaga NY
We recently had a VC Resolute Acclaim installed ( !!! - I've since read the reviews) and the whole house smells of smoke. Looking at the black pipe where it goes into the stove the crimps are exposed

joint 2.jpg

I can look down at the connection and see the flames in the stove.

joint 1.jpg

I held a candle to it and sure enough the flame gets pulled into the joint. Same thing at the thimble connection. Is this incorrect and should I attend to it. And if I do will it matter as from reading the stickies I understand I am going to have draft problems anyways going from 6" pipe to an 8" thimble to an 8 x 10" clay flue in an oversized exterior masonry chimney.

Well the over sized liner is going to reduce your draft allot. If everything else was right that gap probably would not matter much but with to weak draft already it certainly wont help.

How tall is your stack, from the top of the stove up?

How tall is your stack, from the top of the stove up?
Can't get a tape on it but measuring the first and second floors and eyeballing from the attic window I'd guesstimate it's 18'. The top is at the peak of an addition off the main house. Distance to main house is 16'.

Can't get a tape on it but measuring the first and second floors and eyeballing from the attic window I'd guesstimate it's 18'. The top is at the peak of an addition off the main house. Distance to main house is 16'.
ok so the height is not a problem but the flue is way to big. Is it also an exterior chimney?

ok so the height is not a problem but the flue is way to big. Is it also an exterior chimney?
Yes it's exterior and with two flues, one to the living room and another to the walk out basement, it's a lot of block and brick. I think we're going to leave the stove unlit until we get a liner put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.