Smoke Dragon Can snort!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

70marlin

Feb 26, 2010
Grass Lake mi
Any of ya Fella’s ever have your furnace or boiler bark back at ya? This morning I had a roaring fire going. Then I shut down my air to the minimum and started to see a little smoke coming out of the air dials, then two big puffs smoke more like snorts. I figured I just had a back draft on the unit? The chimney had good draft. Outside It was kind of windy. I figured I shut the feed air down too far and there was such a good draft that it started to pull a vacuum on the furnace and it lit off?

It's usually referred to as huffing, and can get a lot worse than your experience. Usually it happens when there is a hot fire with too much small stuff just getting going good, or an empty can of expanding foam that finds it's way into the fire.

70 Marlin you know what we are talking about, Like Benjamin said it can get worse.

The rest of this is for the newbies:
The small stuff is consuming all of the oxygen in the boiler, furnace, or stove. When you open the door the air rushing in causes instant combustion of all the stuff that was trying to burn before you opened the door. Ever see that movie from the 80's "BACKDRAFT"? Be careful, I always stand to the side and crack the load door open about 1/2" and hold it there for 30 seconds or so to let the air equalize in the boiler. It is cool to watch the smoke roll out then quickly get sucked back in the door. Rip the door open and you will be in the ball of flames.

Any you folks watch "apocalypse PA's wood fired pick up truck on the history channel?" I think this is what happing with the back drafting.

I had a wood stove that was on a masonry stack ansd would huff like none other, then chill out over time.
But when enough gas builds and conditions get just right she'll ignite. I've had coals come out the front.
I've had my seton do it too. When she stops drafting and things get quiet, pay attention.
She's about to "light off".

Status
Not open for further replies.