Smoke Dragon Replacement, Final Chapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootlegger

Hearth Supporter
I've been burning in the Englander for several weeks now, a huge improvement over the reliable Fisher in terms of heat output, length of burns and most importantly smoke. I'll start the pictures with a peek into the old fireplace and the flu insert installed by the sweep for the previous owner:

You can see the new tile. Here's a better shot of the natural slate:

The sweep brought over a mantle guard. I always thought the cherry mantle was too close to the old Fisher, only 14 inches, but the previous owner had burned for 20 years so I never imagined a problem. It becomes evident with a camera flash:

So that was a good move. Here is the finished install and first fire:

Thanks for all the great advice. Now if I can just get a year or two ahead on my wood piles...

Bootlegger said:
Thanks for all the great advice. Now if I can just get a year or two ahead on my wood piles...

Great pictures, enjoy the heat.

Zap

Sounds like a major improvement. I'm happy that she's working well for you.

It could be a trick of the camera, but the output from the preformed elbow out of the stove looks like it has to connect to another elbow for an offset correction. And this offset 'appears' to head downhill in order to connect to the tee. If that is correct, I'd replace the corrugated 90 off the stove with a conventional one so that the offset isn't required. Otherwise, warmer weather performance might not be so good. But if there's a 30' flue on the end of this pipe, and it is drafting hard, then maybe it is a moot point and working fine as it is.

BeGreen said:
And this offset 'appears' to head downhill in order to connect to the tee. If that is correct, I'd replace the corrugated 90 off the stove with a conventional one so that the offset isn't required. Otherwise, warmer weather performance might not be so good. But if there's a 30' flue on the end of this pipe, and it is drafting hard, then maybe it is a moot point and working fine as it is.

It does go "dowhnhill" a bit. The steel plate covering the fireplace opening was the limiting factor. The sweep will be back in the spring and we'll recut the plate then. It's drawing great right now, no problem whatsoever, but yeah I'd like it a straight ell if for no other reason than I can move the stove back another six inches or so.

Sounds like there is a good draft on this flue which is helping a lot. However, come milder weather, I wouldn't be surprised if this became an issue. The most obvious symptom would be smoke spillage when starting a fire or refilling the stove.

PS: You probably already are planning for this, but it looks like there should be better hearth protection in front of the stove. There doesn't appear to to be 18" of hearth in front of the door.

Did you say the sweep installed a mantle heat guard? Please post a photo?

Cluttermagnet said:
Did you say the sweep installed a mantle heat guard? Please post a photo?

In the last picture you can see it laying on the stove, just before we screwed it in place. I also just realized I have not taken a picture of the guard by itself and its hard to see in the other photos. I'll take one tomorrow. Its a cool (pun intended) design, sitting about 2 inches off the wood to really dissipate the heat.

I noticed the goosneck in your connector. IS that having any adverse effect on draft and causing smoke to enter the house?

davidv said:
I noticed the goosneck in your connector. IS that having any adverse effect on draft and causing smoke to enter the house?

Fortunately, no. My draft is quite good and the odd connection doesn't affect it at all. Per the operation instructions you have to open the door slowly when burning because the stove vents from the top front, so if you open it too fast a little smoke puffs out, but that's all. The fires burn hot (with my well-seasoned wood) and when it really gets going you can hear the intake vent on the back pulling in air. Start up isn't a problem either.

Status
Not open for further replies.