smoke emission on reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
During the burn I monitor the chimnney for smoke emission. I have very little on startup and none visible during the burn. I do notice some smoke for 5-7 minutes on reload. Is this normal or should I see none even after a reload?

Depends on how cool the stove gets before you reload - and partially on how big the 'cool' log is in relation to the 'hot' firebox. If the stove has cooled below the secondary burn temp, you'll see smoke until you get back up to that temp. If the fire is still hot and you chuck a new log in, the smoke coming off it should almost immediately start to burn in the secondary fire again - unless the log is big and the firebox is right on the edge of the secondary burn temp. Then the additional cool mass can drag the firebox temp down and result in some smoke.

Most of the smoke you see when you reload is moisture evaporating from the wood.

Pretty normal with me . . .

on an old blaze king, is there a secondary fire? or is it jus the primary fire? it doesnt have no airtubes in the top of it like the quadrafire stoves i looked at.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.