smoke escaping from open castine door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
I've had a few post break-in fires and I'm noticing that even when slowly opening the door some smoke is escaping from the new castine.

Most fires have been fairly low temp, around 300-450 degrees.
My firewood is two year old dry hardwood.
I vent off the top and have a 23' straight run through my house (ssi) The cap is 4' above the roof peak.
Is this a normal occurrence at lower temperatures?

dvellone said:
I've had a few post break-in fires and I'm noticing that even when slowly opening the door some smoke is escaping from the new castine.

I vent off the top and have a 23' straight run through my house (ssi) The cap is 4' above the roof peak.

My question would be what is the temperature outside?

This time of year, some smoke spillage can happen because of the lack of temperature difference (inside to out) and thus the weak draft......

sl7vk said:
dvellone said:

My question would be what is the temperature outside?

This time of year, some smoke spillage can happen because of the lack of temperature difference (inside to out) and thus the weak draft......

Right, I hadn't considered that. The temperatures haven't been very low when I've had fires. Maybe in the low 30's at the lowest.

Do you open the air control all the way for ~30 seconds before you open the door? If not, you should

ive noticed the same thing with my f400.with the temps in the 50's& 60's this will happen.saturday its will be in the 30's at night :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.