Smoke from chimney from Tarm Gasifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDogg

Dec 1, 2009
Central Mass
I have put about 3 or so cords of mixed oak, maple, birch, cherry, pine and poplar through a new tarm solo plus 40 this year. It pretty much always seems to have good gasification and runs hot. Between 375-475 in the smoke box, but when the draft fan is on and its buring there still seems to be a good amount of smoke coming out of the chimney. I have an exterior chimney and from the boiler to the top of the flu is roughly 35 feet or so. I was just curious if I should be concerned with any creosote build up in the chimney, the smoke worries me a little bit so I was wondering if anyone has checked the flue with a gassifier like mine. Any comments would be great so I can go back to sleeping worry free at night again. My roof is so high and steep that I will need to find someone with a 36-40 foot extension ladder to go up and look down the chimney. I was told with this gassifier that I should never have to worry about creosote, but also was told there wouldnt be much smoke either.

Post this in the boileroom and you will get a bunch of replies.

Don't do a repost, as I'm moving it there now for you...

Are you sure what you are getting is "smoke" and not "steam" - gassers put out a lot of water vapor, and with a tall, exterior, non-insulated chimney, you may be condensing as you leave the chimney, which will look like white smoke - sort of like what you will see coming out the exhausts of people with mod-con gas burners...

Also it might be worth figuring out how to do a clean and check on your chimney from the bottom - much safer w/ those unusually tall chimneys (I have one as well on the wood stove) Just because you are burning clean, and people told you not to worry about creosote does NOT mean you should ignore the chimney - ANY wood burning appliance should have a cleaning and checkout at least once a year...

Gooserider

NO WAY MAN!!!! GASIFIERS DON'T SMOKE...EVER!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SORRY iI had to say that

Mines been smoking this year too, not sure why. I had a shorter chimney last year and not much smoking at all (maybe steam) but this year is a lot more with the extra 4 ft. Ive been talking with Tarm and have been trying a few things. One thing I did find out is my doors were leaking both the top and bottom and they had to install a washer kit to move them a bit. But in reality it didnt seam to change anything. I know my wood is 20 % and is good so not sure. Scott at Tarm has been great I have to call this week and re visit the issue to see whats going on.

IMHO
1 - if you are getting good gasification
2 - you are sure that your wood is properly seasoned
3 - you are not getting a lot of creosote in the heat exchanger tubes or chimney
4 - you are able to get sufficient heat to your load

I wouldn't worry about it. If all the above are being met, I'd say it is working properly.

I do get some smoke, maybe steam, during a burn, but every time I've checked the chimney, there is only a thin layer of dry powdery 'soot'. Could be creosote, but it doesn't build up or cause a problem.

I get a little "thin" smoke early on during the burns. It's usually hard to see unless you are looking at the exhaust stream in direct sunlight. My wood supply is a bit wet, but burns without bridging. I've been operating this way since I installed the Tarm a little more than 1 year ago. I've run it almost year round with only a little powdery ash build up in the chimney. As others have said, are you sure this is smoke and not steam? If you have a wood supply that is a bit wet you will see more steam out the chimney. My chimney is much shorter than yours, perhaps with a longer chimney you get more steam due to condensation.

JayDogg said:
I have put about 3 or so cords of mixed oak, maple, birch, cherry, pine and poplar through a new tarm solo plus 40 this year. It pretty much always seems to have good gasification and runs hot. Between 375-475 in the smoke box, but when the draft fan is on and its buring there still seems to be a good amount of smoke coming out of the chimney. I have an exterior chimney and from the boiler to the top of the flu is roughly 35 feet or so. I was just curious if I should be concerned with any creosote build up in the chimney, the smoke worries me a little bit so I was wondering if anyone has checked the flue with a gassifier like mine. Any comments would be great so I can go back to sleeping worry free at night again. My roof is so high and steep that I will need to find someone with a 36-40 foot extension ladder to go up and look down the chimney. I was told with this gassifier that I should never have to worry about creosote, but also was told there wouldnt be much smoke either.
JayDogg; Check the draft accuratly & run to Tarms specs. My Atmos was smoking & I found out I had between 1 1/2 to 2 times the required draft because of a tall chimney. When the chimney got hot it almost took over the stove & would smoke because I believe it was pulling everything through too fast. My Atmos no longer smokes as I have a Samson flap I can adjust. When I get a chance I'll put the reccomended throttle plate in the flue pipe. If you have excessive draft you can use a plate or barometric if Tarm approved, Randy

If it's steam you will notice it is just a little when it first comes out the chimney and the "smoke" seems to expand as it gets a few feet from the chimney. If it's an off white smoke it's steam. If it has a blue tint to it then you are not gassifying properly. I can look at the smoke and tell if it is bridging or doesn't have the coals on the bottom cause it has a bluish tint. I notice OWB have blueish tints much more often than mine. Also, it steams more when it's gets cold or is damp outside. When it's real dry the steam dissipates very quick cause the air is so dry, I think.

Mine did have white smoke & this dissapeared. There seemed to be too much of it before I adjusted draft & was somewhat dissapointing for a gasser. Creosote probably isn't an issue as others have said. My chimney looks about the same burning or not burning now, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.