Smoke from Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cocey2002

Dec 28, 2007
Central PA
I am visiting at my wife's parents house and trying to figure out the problem he is having with his fireplace. His draft is terrible. Smoke comes from his fireplace into the house at every stage of the fire. Closing the doors 3/4 helps but you can't have them open full way at all. Wood is seasoned. When closing the doors I hear a whistle type noise from my fireplace the draft is so good but his is not making any noise. Any ideas of what can cause the draft to be poor? Chimney has been cleaned. Fireplace is very small. Probably the smallest they will build. Thanks

I take it you double checked to make sure the damper was all the way open...so that would leave a chimney cap that needs cleaning or removing. btw did your in laws ever say... 'we never had this problem before it use to be so nice' etc. Otherwise...

... terrain features, like very close hills can prevent good drafting too...and that's hard to work around.

edit to add when you go there today and if the fires out hold a handheld mirror and look up there and check it out. If you don't see plenty of daylight work the damper back and forth with gloved hands. Good luck.

10/2 rule? Sounds like he chimney is not tall enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.