Smoke in the face

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antos_ketcham

Mar 5, 2008
How do folks deal with smoke that pours out of the door their boiler when loading? Mine is outside in a small shed, but I still end up getting a face-full of smoke - and probably a lung full. I thought about wearing a mask, but what kind? I know I could probably solve the problem with a draft inducer, but I am trying to keep my system as simple as possible - it is already too complex.

Thanks.

Pete

I dont get any smoke out of my door as long as I am refueling the way I should be. Check out ISeeDeadBtu's threads...

If you could find a ventilator fan like the unit on top of the boiler and vent it out the side or back of your boiler room , you will never get smoke in your face or boiler room / shed . Even on low speed it sounds like a jet engine , it will blow the smoke 20 ' straight out my garage door . keeps my lungs & room much cleaner. I will try to post a video on You Tube soon.
Anthony

Attachments

• DSC00121.jpg
    DSC00121.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC00115.jpg
    DSC00115.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 606
Pete, I have the same issues with my Seton 100. I'm wondering if a draft inducer will help. I see some photos of installations with 8" flue and inducers. Are those folks using the inducer to eliminate smoke issues when filling the boiler? Mine doesn't smoke when the load is burned down to coals. But start filling it with logs and bam, it smokes out my boiler room in the time it takes to fill it. Thankfully, this is not in my basement. Not to mention the dust. Anyone else have a thick coating of dust in their boiler room?

If you use a draft inducer, be sure to wire it through an aquastat or a timer so that you don't mistakenly leave it on and have it overheat your boiler. It sounds like that's what happened to one of our members, barnartist, last night. It ain't pretty. My guess is that voids all warranties, no matter how you have it wired.

BTW, I like your solution, Anthony. I bet you could even hook some flexible ducting up to it for a more targeted exhaust footprint.

Draft inducers will help , but do not come close to keeping the smoke in when the over sized feed door is wide open and you stat rolling in fresh wood . Anthony

I am the guy that overheated when I left the inducer running. The inducer might have reduced my smoke 25%, so it hasn't been the quick fix I hoped for. I have since wired it up to a timer to prevent this from happening again. I wish I had spent less coin on an old house oven overhead and fan, and ducted that out seperately. I think I saw a pic of a guy that did this, I may copy it. I get a ton of smoke, particularly on a new fire start.

barnartist said:
I am the guy that overheated when I left the inducer running. The inducer might have reduced my smoke 25%, so it hasn't been the quick fix I hoped for. I have since wired it up to a timer to prevent this from happening again. I wish I had spent less coin on an old house oven overhead and fan, and ducted that out seperately. I think I saw a pic of a guy that did this, I may copy it. I get a ton of smoke, particularly on a new fire start.

Glad no body go hurt ! Will you be able to salvage the boiler ?? Anthony

Anthony D said:
If you could find a ventilator fan like the unit on top of the boiler and vent it out the side or back of your boiler room , you will never get smoke in your face or boiler room / shed . Even on low speed it sounds like a jet engine , it will blow the smoke 20 ' straight out my garage door . keeps my lungs & room much cleaner. I will try to post a video on You Tube soon.
Anthony

Hey Anthony - this looks great. Where did you get that fan?

Pete

Glad no body go hurt ! Will you be able to salvage the boiler ?? Anthony

Everything looks to be OK throughout the sytem, it seems as long as pressure can escape, these things can handle the heat!

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
Anthony D said:
Anthony

Pete

Pete I found the ventilator fan at a local electrical supply , try to Google the name on the label , if your interested I could get more info from the supply house. Anthony

http://www.marleymep.com/Develop/Products/PortFan/MipAirHog.htm

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
How do folks deal with smoke that pours out of the door their boiler when loading? Mine is outside in a small shed, but I still end up getting a face-full of smoke - and probably a lung full. I thought about wearing a mask, but what kind? I know I could probably solve the problem with a draft inducer, but I am trying to keep my system as simple as possible - it is already too complex.

Thanks.

Pete

Another Addison County member - seems like quite a concentration here. Any relation to other local Ketchams?

I don't get any smoke as long as I don't open the door when the fire is really cranking. I put in a thermocouple that drives a display on my web page that tells me when it's burned down enough to reload.

Anthony D said:
Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
Anthony D said:
Anthony

Pete

Pete I found the ventilator fan at a local electrical supply , try to Google the name on the label , if your interested I could get more info from the supply house. Anthony

I found a better link.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&in_dym=1&Nty=1&D=than&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=utility%20blower&cmnosearch=true&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=I-search%20(Google%20Adwords)&cm_pla=nt_shopsupplies&cm_ite=utility%20blower

nofossil said:
Pete Antos-Ketcham said:

Thanks.

Pete

Another Addison County member - seems like quite a concentration here. Any relation to other local Ketchams?

I don't get any smoke as long as I don't open the door when the fire is really cranking. I put in a thermocouple that drives a display on my web page that tells me when it's burned down enough to reload.

My family ranges from Sudbury/Orwell, Whiting north to Brandon and Middlebury and then on to Bristol/Starksboro/Huntington/Hinesburg. Although the last cluster of towns I really don't know these folks, but I know we are related. In fact, word is that anyone who spells the last name with an "am" at the end rather than a "um" is a relative.

Pete

You know the K I S S system, yes??

The simplest way to avoid smoke in your face is to have your wife load the furnace :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.