Smoke in the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
For the last few days when I am burning I am smelling smoke very strong odor, along with seeing smoke in the room where the class A pipe comes up through the basement. The problem is it is enclosed in drywall so it can not see directly where the smoke is coming from, since it was only installed a few months ago I do not what to mess with anything due it the install may be warranted.

I originally thought that it was residual smoke from when I open the door and put wood into it. The stove does not have a bypass so when you open the door you get some smoke does come out. But, over 2 hours after loading the smoke smell was still very strong and had not diminished. So I pushed in the air thingie so the stove would die.

As I posted in some of my other posts I am not burning well seasoned wood, though I do get it up to over 500 every time I run it as recommended by the installers of the stove. I will be calling the installers today and I am wondering what could be the issue.

Can Class A pipe leak smoke, or could it be that it is full of creosote causing this issue.

Thanks.

MishMouse said:
For the last few days when I am burning I am smelling smoke very strong odor, along with seeing smoke in the room where the class A pipe comes up through the basement. The problem is it is enclosed in drywall so it can not see directly where the smoke is coming from, since it was only installed a few months ago I do not what to mess with anything due it the install may be warranted.

I originally thought that it was residual smoke from when I open the door and put wood into it. The stove does not have a bypass so when you open the door you get some smoke does come out. But, over 2 hours after loading the smoke smell was still very strong and had not diminished. So I pushed in the air thingie so the stove would die.

As I posted in some of my other posts I am not burning well seasoned wood, though I do get it up to over 500 every time I run it as recommended by the installers of the stove. I will be calling the installers today and I am wondering what could be the issue.

Can Class A pipe leak smoke, or could it be that it is full of creosote causing this issue.

Thanks.

I recently encountered what you're seeing and this is what I found..
My stovepipe was loaded with creosote as was my chimney so I gave everything a good cleaning and got a good draft now all is well. Running green wood will cause lots of creosote so I suggest you clean your chimney and stovepipe and go from there..

Good Luck,
Ray

My guess is that your stack temps are too low to get a good draft. This is probably causing creosote build up as well which further restricts the draft. The not so good wood you burn probably make a lot of smoke and some of that smoke is probably leaking out through the door gaskets. Burn better wood and burn it hotter and the problem will go away.

I just encountered this recently at a customers house, she would smell smoke on the other side of the house near the garage entrance. Its just the way the natural air current flow in the house and it pulled the smoke there and it would collect over time until it was a strong odor.

I called the people who installed the stove this morning.
They will be coming on Tuesday to clean and inspect the chimney.

I had the option to just have a cleaner in to take a look at it, but I figured if there was a loose joint or something, better to have it handled by the people who installed it. So if they do find something they can fix it at the same time.

MishMouse said:
I called the people who installed the stove this morning.
They will be coming on Tuesday to clean and inspect the chimney.

I had the option to just have a cleaner in to take a look at it, but I figured if there was a loose joint or something, better to have it handled by the people who installed it. So if they do find something they can fix it at the same time.

Hi Mish,
For peace of mind I think that's your best solution. I look forward to hear what was found.

Good Luck,
Ray

Good call untill you are sure the smoke is from inside the vent pipe be very careful it could be something else in your home near the pipe getting hot and smoking. I would open up the area and look inside for heat damage.

I would shut the stove down until the problem is fixed. It could be from inside the vent pipe be , it could be something else in your home near the pipe getting hot and smoking. Dont take the chance shut the stove down. I would have them open up the area and look inside for heat damage. Dry wall is paper covered and is not fire proof. You could call in the real pros at the inspectors office in or a fire inspection from the fire chief, they may see something the installers missed.

Yeah, I'd say stop burning it. If the pipe is leaking smoke, carbon monoxide is also a concern.

-SF

I found out what was causing the the smoke to enter the house.
The top cap was plugged with gunk, the pipe itself only contained flakes.
The solution run the stove hotter then I was.
Normally I would let it get to 500-550 for about an hour or so, then I would let it go down to the 400's.
Since I am burning un-seasoned wood I need to get it up to 650 (200-250 on the double wall pipe) and hold it there for about an hour or so, then let it go down into the 500's.

^OK then good to hear that it's taken care of. Over the years I've been in situations when I had to burn some less than seasoned wood too...and I hate it when that happens. Burning it hot a few times a day should keep the creosote under control. Just understand what you're doing is a controlled creosote burn and your chimney must be in tip top shape to handle that...if ya got a liner you should be golden. But you don't want to over fire traditional flue pipe. I was told it could crack.

Anyway with my old Shenandoah stove I would burn it hot twice a day so that I could hear the creosote burn off then vent it down to cool then open it up etc...anyway my flue is OK but I had a new chimney installed about 20 years ago.

Glad to hear you found the problem. Remember this for the future. That cap will be the first thing to plug because it is the furthest from the stove and exposed to all that cold air. Unseasoned wood definitely figure on cleaning that cap every other month or sooner. Good luck.

needs a good cleaning. I was getting that a few weeks back. cleaned my chimney, and it drew like a dream again..Particularly clean that chimney cap

I also improved the air draw on it.

I opened the window that I had covered in double plastic and made just enough space for me to put a 4 inch dryer vent pipe into it then snaked it over to the wood stove. Now it is burning 100% better then it was. Was able to get it up to 650 and hold it there for a while before cutting it down into the 500's. Now when I open the door a crack it just roars instead of smoking.

MishMouse said:
Normally I would let it get to 500-550 for about an hour or so, then I would let it go down to the 400's.
Since I am burning un-seasoned wood I need to get it up to 650 (200-250 on the double wall pipe) and hold it there for about an hour or so, then let it go down into the 500's.

Thanx for letting us know what the problem was. Your symptoms were the same as mine so I figured there was a restriction somewhere in the flue.. I will definitely clean my chimney once a year from now on..

Ray

MishMouse said:

Solution - don't burn unseasoned wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.