Smoke leaking into room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJS

Dec 29, 2013
Texas
Last year we purchased a home with a wood burning fireplace insert. We successfully used it all last year and this year until recently when it began to leak smoke. The leak started around the top, then noticed it around the sides. Today, it was leaking around the bottom as well.

We have replaced the gasket on the door as well as installed adhesive backed insulation around the top and sides. When we had the insert out to install the insulation, I noticed a sticker that said "Craft Stove".

We also used one of the creosote cleaning logs. Unfortunately the smoke leak continues to worsen. Do you have any suggestions on how we may resolve the smoke leaking issue?

Thanks so much.

If it has stainless steel liner could the chimney cap be plugged? Could the liner be plugged? Are you using a liner? Is the chimney/terra cotta liner plugged? When was the last you swept?

This is a serious situation. It sounds like you may have a plugged chimney with what is called a slammer install. Do not burn without having a certified chimneysweep examine the chimney!

In the long haul you would be much better off and safer replacing this old insert with a modern insert and full chimney liner. Let us know if you need help finding a certified chimneysweep.

Reactions: PLAYS WITH FIRE
Thanks for the prompt reply. It is a slammer install that does not have a liner. We have not swept, just used the cleaner logs. While installing the insulation around the edges, we brushed the chimney for about 6' up only.
If it has stainless steel liner could the chimney cap be plugged? Could the liner be plugged? Are you using a liner? Is the chimney/terra cotta liner plugged? When was the last you swept?

This is a serious situation. It sounds like you may have a plugged chimney with what is called a slammer install. Do not burn without having a certified chimneysweep examine the chimney!

In the long haul you would be much better off and safer replacing this old insert with a modern insert and full chimney liner. Let us know if you need help finding a certified chimneysweep.

Thanks for warning. Looks like calling a sweeper will be on our list for tomorrow. The previous owner stated that the insert was only a few years old, but I can't be certain.

The chimney could be plugged due to bird nesting, a dead animal, creosote build up, chimney walls deteriorating, etc.. Don't burn until the situation is fixed.

The Craft inserts I have seen are quite old, smoke dragons. Slammer installs have not been legal for a while now. Can you post a picture of the insert?

PS: Welcome to hearth.com!

The things mentioned imply safety but I did not state it exactly....so as begreen said and I will summarize, it's better to be cold than on fire!:)

Reactions: Defiant
My concern right now is carbon monoxide poisoning. Do you at least have a good working CO detector in the room?

Ohhhhhhh, yea get a co detector. I got 2 near mine and they have been as high as 12 ppm when I smoked out the basement on a nice cold start.

Status
Not open for further replies.