Smoke leaking through pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike2043

Jan 5, 2014
NY
Hello folks.
I need some help here. I installed a Summers Heat 3,000-sq ft Wood Furnace right after thanksgiving. I used duravent triple wall pipe for a chimney & black stove pipe on the inside. The stove has been great up until yesterday. I cleaned the black stove pipe reinstalled and fired up the stove. I had it going all day with no problems. Last night I got up during the night and I could smell smoke. I went to check the stove and found smoke coming out between every connection and swivel point on the black stove pipe. I also found tar dripping from the clay pipe that goes threw the foundation. I went outside and found a brown liquid (tar) around the T-Connection.

I cleaned the black stove pipe because I noticed that everytime I went to load the stove I was getting a lot of smoke in the house. The stove had great draft when I installed it and has been working fine un up last night. I checked the outside flue and found it to be clean. I am burning white locust & some black cherry wood. I am planning to add one more section of outside pipe as soon as someone has them in stock. I just pulled the inside pipe again and double checked and everything looks fine. The house is old and drafty so there is plenty of air inside for it. I just tried lighting a small fire and had the same thing happen. I am lost with this one.

Any idea what would cause this problem ?

Really sounds like stack is clogged to me. How did you check the chimney? Also what type of wall are you going through with a clay crock?

Time to stop burning and clean the entire chimney system from cap screen to the furnace. It also sounds like you may need to burn hotter, shorter fires during milder weather.

Thanks everyone. It was clogged. I didn't think a chimney could get tha dirty in less than a month. I spoke to friend and he told me i'm running it to slow/low all the time and to getting ripping more often to keep it clean. I have been banking down during the nights and during the day and getting 8-10 hours out of it, then just throwing a log or two on to keep it going before I stacked for the night. so now i'll run it hot when i'm home i n the evenings before stacking for the night. again thanks you everyone for the help.

How dry is the wood? Letting it burn on low is easier when the wood is dry.

Reactions: Applesister
If you have the air down too much, too soon, the secondaries will never get a chance to burn the creosote products. The secondary needs to be above 1100F to burn. Also, the flue may never get got enough to prevent the creosote from condensing on the walls. It's very helpful to have a thermometer on both the stove top and the flue.

It may also be that your wood supply is not dry enough. Have you measured it's moisture content with a meter? It needs to be 20 25% moisture content to burn properly.

Argh. Grisu got it out first about the wood...;lol

I missed where it was clogged? Was it just the cap screen?

Not sure there is much secondary burn on this furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.