smoke path

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jomama

Dec 31, 2012
Thurman NY
Is there a picture somewhere that shows the path that the smoke and heat travels through the interior of an older model resolute stove? Being that the rear inner chamber of the stove dosent appear to be removable I am curious to see if its just that, a big chamber or a series of chambers the smoke must pass through. If it is a maze type unit I just cant see how it can be effectively cleaned .

So it's like a rat maze back there and you're right it's sort of tough to clean, BUT:

Remove the right insert, held in by a single screw, then pry it out front edge first. Now it's possible to snake a vacuum hose behind the fireback into the hard to reach spot. It may require a few tries, but believe me it's the easiest way.

You can of course complete the cleaning by pulling the pipe off and vacuuming down back through the flue collar.

This is like an annual thing, possibly every other year depending on use.

Before I read your reply I did just that and like you said it is a chore. I am willing to bet most people aren't even aware this is a necessary procedure and given the fact that most people today cant find their own ass without a diagram they never attempt it. So while we are on the subject, where does the primary and secondary air supply feed into the fire box? Is it through the holes in the rear chamber or elsewhere and does this also need periodic cleaning?. I hate to keep on with all these questions but this stove is quite a bit more complex than any of the ones I have had before. I have a 1935 Wherle #16 parlor heater in my garage and a Pacific Energy super series in the house and a 1930 Kalamazoo prince model ktchen cook stove and they are all dirt simple.

Because air is always feeding into the stove, not so much stuff builds up in those areas, though a quick vacuuming of those small holes in the fireback and the slot opening in the left insert will get what needs getting. Suck out the 2ndary vent just for fun too!

Status
Not open for further replies.