smoke smell from enviro ef3 pt 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stinger68

Nov 30, 2008
cape breton N.S Canada
I get a smell of wood burning from my enviro ef3 stove from what i can tell from my heat tubes where the heat blows out into the room.Do you think its possible tat 1 of the heat tubres has a hole inside and the exaust from inside the burn chamber go inside the ehaust tubes and when the blower fan is on it distributes warm air with a hint of wood burning?The smell is not horrible in the house and i cant se any leaks and i applied extra silicone and extra tape on joints on the stove and applied silocone around the exaust gasket of the exaust blower also.I tried to put a piece of paper inside the glass door and shut it and try to pull it out and it stays put.I tried a candle around the glass door also to see if the flame flickers any-there was a flicker around the part where the handle for the door.I then shut the blower fan off and rechecked and no flicker so it seems that area is ok??

you will get a whiff of smoke at start up and normal it will come out of the gap around the scrapper rod hole.
The burn area of the stove is Negative air. or a vacuum, normally smoke will not come out of the burn area or door when the stove is in full operation because the combustion blower is actually sucking air from that chamber not blowing air into it. so in summery if you had a door leak air wood suck into from your room and into the stove.

Now other reasons smoke would come out is if the ash trap chambers are plugged up.
the is the exhaust chambers behind the fireback. there are two 2" knock out plugs on each side even with the burn pot. for people that have the insert it is located in the ash pan area on the left and right.

Ash trap chamber are the 2 circle holes inside the glass door of the burn pot on either side that have acover that you move over to clean out with the shop vac correct?Then the answer would be that the stove is clean top to bottom and those to holes and clean and as well i took the back plate off as well and cleaned all behind there scrapped out as well scrapped the heat tubes with wire brush also cleaned both fans.I replaced the exaust gasket last season when i cleaned it as well and just put that1 back on after i cleaned it for this season.The gasket looked fine but do you think its leaking there? get a new gasket? i just dont want to go and replace all gaskets if i dont have to .Iwas out tonigh and came home and i can still smell a wood odor and had to shut stove off because im paranoid that unknown and unseen dangers lurk and jepordize my family.This is driving me crazy the stove works well burns good but the darn oder is scaring me.

I still get a slight smoke smell. Goes away in 20 min. or so. Once the stove is cranking, no smoke smell. Hope that helps.

Hey Sid, i had same thing this Fall after cleaning my EF3 for Fall startup,after chatting to the dealer, he was asking me what all i did, it was letting smoke escape the Exhaust fan, just where it Exits the blower, the Fan casing has a square Flange,which adapts to 3" round , it needed to be sealed with Orange High Heat Sili, the smoke was being sucked across inside the stove and pulled into the fresh air Fan,in turn, comming out the Air Exchanger.
Check all your gaskets on the Exhaust side,If you had your Blower off, check the white gasket is sealed perfect, also if you just took the motor off to clean the Fins, theres another whit Gasket there, seal/seal/seal.Let it sit for a good 6 hours if possible after you apply sealant to cure before fireing her up.Hope this helps, did the trick on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.