Smoke Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brew8

Mar 4, 2007
I have a newly installed Castile pellet insert. Everytime the stove starts up I get the smell of smoke throughout the house. Is this normal? Also I can't get the stove to light with the automatic thermostat. Thanks for any help. Great site!

Dealer installed, vented directly out the back through an outside"dogbox". Installed in 1 degree temperatures at 11:00 at night. Do you think this could be the problem? The install was a nightmare. Took 8 hour from start to finish!

Check the seal where the stove pipe meets the stove. Its a place that can be easly overlooked.
Is this stove brand new?

is the smell burn off or leaky pipe. All new stoves smoke and stink to high heaven untill there cured. That sometimes takes severl hours to do.

The smell goes away after it is burning well. Smell is bad during shut down and start up

does it smell chemicly or like burning wood pellets. Pellets smell good, so its easy to tell the difference.

I think the flue collar where the stove attaches to the flue is a good place to check. It sounds like leakage. If it was new paint, it would be just the opposite. The stove would smell when it had been running for a hour or so and was nice and hot.

From the description, it sounds like the install started really late if they finished up at 11 pm. Perhaps they forgot to seal the flue connection at that late hour.

You also said the stove wont light with the thermostat? Does this mean you are lighting it manually? All the quad units I have worked on, if it wont light itself, something is wrong. Does the igniter heat up (red hot)?

Status
Not open for further replies.