Smoke Smoke and More Smoke!! Ideas for a rookie??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbailey1972

Feb 20, 2011
Des Moines, IA
The last two times I've noticed a bit of smoke coming from the stove (Jotul Oslo) when trying to get it going. I didn't have this problem at all last year, installed Feb 2010, after I got it installed. This last time (tonight, third time trying this year) I tried to fire it up we had smoke POURING in the from the back of the stove. In the back of the stove there is a 3-4 inch round hole and smoke was pouring out from there. I've done the exact same start as last year and am at a loss..... I'm sure it's my mistake but I don't know what I'm doing different. It can't be the chimney clogged with a nest or anything, I just checked and it's clean as a whistle. The Misses is not happy with me at all. Please help. I'll answer any questions about what I'm doing if you post some back to me. Thanks for the help.

Dazed (smoked out) and Confused

Greg

Sounds like a cold flue. Open a window in the room, and then open then door to the stove. A sheet of newsprint in thenstove lit off should be enough to get your draft working. Happens sometimes when the temp diff between inside and out isnt all that much.

Did you check the chimney cap screen?

Check the stove pipe and screen and the area above the baffle . . . along with the chimney . . . I know after a season of burning I get quite a bit of fly ash above the baffle.

As Agarnter mentioned . . . if the temp outside is on the mild side you may simply have a problem with the draft . . . it's getting cold enough here now at night that I don't have to open a window . . . but last month I would frequently open the window a crack (along with the side door to the stove) to establish a draft . . . when I didn't open the window I would get some smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.