SMOKE STINK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ootski

Jan 9, 2008
Fredonia NY
Recently did a complete clean from top to bottom, and now I notice the distinct somewhat obnoxious smell of Creosote/burnt ash?? in the room with the stove. Anyway of getting rid of it. I realize it comes with the nuances of burning pellets but there was no or minimal smell during the burning season. I am confident that in the summer with the windows open it will dissapate open to suggestions tks

Did you sweep the pipes?

Vacuumed them from out side stuck about 4 foot of hose in the thimble Did not disconnect from the stove to the exterior though afraid of not getting it tight again As it turned out had to fire it up again Cold in Fredonia noww tks

Pook said:
stick an open box of baking soda in stove, like fridge in old daze

good tip, i usually recommend 2 boxes, one in the burn pot and one in the EMPTY hopper. this will absorb odors like Pook stated , and also act as a dessicant by absorbing moisture which could cause surface corrosion in the unit.

i said empty in caps as i do not like leaving pellets in the hopper as they can go stale in humid summer months and in some cases where folks might cover the stove with a doiley and set a plant on it (i do) if water spills down into the hopper the pellets will swell and set up hard which can cause a major inconvienience when the stove is needed in the fall.

tks I will do both It does seem to get better as the weather warms up jh

Status
Not open for further replies.