Smoke test ideas for pellent vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJPellet

Minister of Fire
Sep 6, 2011
Western NY
Hello,
I just finished taking apart my pellet vent pipe for cleaning. The good thing is I discovered that it's ExcelPellet pipe with the orange gaskets so it went back together easily. However I would like to make sure that there are no leaks. I really don't want to wait until I fire the stove up with the first fire because if there is a leak then I would have to screw around with the pipe when I actually need the stove for heat. Are there any tricks for getting smoke going in the stove besides a full going fire? I can get the exhaust blower going to suck out the smoke and therefore check the flue. Any ideas or recommendations?

fuse_lit_smoke_bomb_ball.jpg

I have used news paper dampened slightly. Smoke ball's should do as well.

Dim the lights. and have a flash light handy.
Get the stove smokey with what you plan on using.
Then hit the start/cycle the stat to get the combustion blower to suck the smoke out of the stove.

Awesome ideas! Thank You. I'm going with the damp newspaper as it is the cheapest. I am looking forward to getting this thing going.

Status
Not open for further replies.