Smoke with cat engaged - Chinook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Happened again today. Reloaded around 6am on hot coals, had to leave the house around 10am. The stove was cruising pleasantly, the stove room was about 72 degrees with the dial at about 2, and I visually confirmed the flapper was just barely open. I put the cover back on the thermostat before I left the house.
Came back around 1230pm, walked in and the stove room was at 85 degrees. The firebox was blasting out heat, bright red coals and most of the wood had been burnt up (it was still pretty full of intact wood when I left).
I pulled the cover off the thermostat and the flapper was about a third of the way open, which seems totally backward.

I think I’m going to talk to my dealer and BK customer service this week and see if this can be looked into. Seems ridiculous to be blowing through wood like this when I can’t be home to manually adjust the thermostat.

Happened again today. Reloaded around 6am on hot coals, had to leave the house around 10am. The stove was cruising pleasantly, the stove room was about 72 degrees with the dial at about 2, and I visually confirmed the flapper was just barely open. I put the cover back on the thermostat before I left the house.
Came back around 1230pm, walked in and the stove room was at 85 degrees. The firebox was blasting out heat, bright red coals and most of the wood had been burnt up (it was still pretty full of intact wood when I left).
I pulled the cover off the thermostat and the flapper was about a third of the way open, which seems totally backward.

I think I’m going to talk to my dealer and BK customer service this week and see if this can be looked into. Seems ridiculous to be blowing through wood like this when I can’t be home to manually adjust the thermostat.
Ask dealer to order replacement thermostat. Covered by warranty.

Reactions: TheElementalCashew