smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
this is probaly a really dumb question. but i never see smoke come out of my exhoust pipe. Today in WI it is really really cold and i am seing smoke coming out of the chimney. I get worried that it is a chimney fire or that it is not normal.

If there is moisture in the exhaust it will instantly freeze into little ice crystals when it comes out if the air is cold enough, or just condensate into water droplets. Is this possibly what you are seeing? Also it is quite normal for white/grayish smoke to come out of a pellet exhaust cap.

Its just like JTP says, its just steam. If the smoke lingers in the air a while its smoke, but if it dissipates quickly (like the exhaust on a furnace or dryer) its just steam. I live in the north part of the state and whenever it gets to about 0 I start to see steam. I wouldn't worry about it.

Like the other stated, it could be condensation. Condesation would disapear quickly as stated. Sort of like when its cold out and you see your breath for a second. If you feel it is lingering and may truely be smoke, then check your settings. Smoke can be seen coming out the exhaust sometimes if your fuel/air ratio is too rich. You could try adjusting your settings in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.