Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
I have an earthstove 1003c. When the door is open I get smoke drift out from the top of the open door. Any ideas

Occo370 said:
I have an earthstove 1003c. When the door is open I get smoke drift out from the top of the open door. Any ideas

I have a Lopi Liberty, before I open the door I'll open the by-pass then after the by-pass has been open I crack the door just a little for a moment, after that I'll open the door and that works for me.

zap

don't open the door.

open the damper ?
add some more chimney height ?
open a door or window to potentially increase the chimney draft ?

My current stove has a bypass, which is great. Growing up, we had a Jotul knockoff that dumped straight into a short masonry flue. The trick was to open the door just a crack for few seconds, and then open it wide. There was always a little smoke spillage, but not as bad as throwing the door open wide.

Thnks for the replies. I do follow the same steps. I think it's the ss shimney height. The installer went min height. I'll prob add a couple sections

madrone said:
My current stove has a bypass, which is great. Growing up, we had a Jotul knockoff that dumped straight into a short masonry flue. The trick was to open the door just a crack for few seconds, and then open it wide. There was always a little smoke spillage, but not as bad as throwing the door open wide.

madrone how is the weather out your way? Looks like another wet Thursday - Saturday here with possible high winds.

zap

Occo370 said:
Thnks for the replies. I do follow the same steps. I think it's the ss shimney height. The installer went min height. I'll prob add a couple sections

What is your chimney height? We have about 20-22 feet and it draws great.

zap

Occo370 said:

If you think that is the issue, just combat it with a simple practice for now. Just take your time and crack the door for 30 seconds or so to allow for the draft to pick up a bit. Always open the doors slowly. Not sure what else you can do...

zapny said:
madrone how is the weather out your way? Looks like another wet Thursday - Saturday here with possible high winds.

zap

It's been nice for a few days. Little fog in the morning but sunny and relatively warm later in the day. Looks like a rainy Friday, then back to partly sunny. The oppressive cloud cover and constant mist hasn't arrived yet. :)

Occo370 said:

Bet that fixes it. Colder weather, of course, also helps.

billb3 said:
don't open the door.

open the damper ?
add some more chimney height ?
open a door or window to potentially increase the chimney draft ?

+1 . . . During the shoulder season when the temps inside and outside are pretty close to each other getting a good draft on a marginally drafting chimney can sometimes be an issue . . . heck, I have a good draft and when the temps are close to each other I sometimes have a bit of smoke spillage.

As Bill said . . . you can try opening the air control a bit before reloading or crack open the door just a bit . . . you can also open a nearby window to increase the draft . . . if this issue is temporary due to the temps right now this is an easy solution . . .

If the problem persists you may need to extend your chimney a few more feet to increase the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.