smoked a brand new blade after 5 cuts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakep

Aug 10, 2008
pa
im cutting my bundles of cherry slabwood i put brand new chain on saw it cut like a bad out of hell for 5 cuts now dull as hell. oiler is working at least level is going down im almost positive i didnt hit dirt but im sure it could have only for a sec if anything. it is a stihl chain on my husky 141 what do you guys think.

Half a second will do it...(don't ask me how I know).

Yup. Hidden nail or screw etc buried in the wood someplace.

Be careful out there especially when cutting yardbirds or trees in or near fencerows....

What so I think?
I know you hit something harder than wood. A second at full rpm, each tooth hit in more than once.

Hand sharpening will take a while, replace the chain & have it sharpened when you get a chance.
No real solution, it will probably happen again.

Spare banding, dirt accumulated in the stack, a rock that got stuck in there when it was dragged in the yard, something in the tree before cut- lost of reasons. I find that my chain gets dull quicker in slabwood than in a regular live tree.

jakep said:
im cutting my bundles of cherry slabwood i put brand new chain on saw it cut like a bad out of hell for 5 cuts now dull as hell. oiler is working at least level is going down im almost positive i didnt hit dirt but im sure it could have only for a sec if anything. it is a stihl chain on my husky 141 what do you guys think.

That word slabwood says a lot. Not all slabwood is clean and some indeed have been drug through dirt. Now if dirt was to make a chain sharper we would all be Kings. Unfortunately, it does not take very much of it to make us professionals with the chain saw file. Well, at least we get lots of practice.

Look at your cutters. we have all had it happen. i cut down an Arbrovite in my Front Yard years ago with a New Homelite (My 1st new saw). Didnt make it through the Trunk.... Lots of dirt. plus the metal wire I used to help it grow straight when it was a baby....

Cutters will be chewed if you hit steel. Wont be as chewed if it was dirt. But I have found a good Full chisel chain, will take more than a second in the dirt to dull...

jakep said:

Where is the "blade" on a chainsaw?

Seriously, though, you'll find that there are strange things embedded in wood, before and after death. Sometimes you can sense the presence, like steel in oak, sometimes not.

That's why you constantly monitor how it's cutting: speed, straightness, chunks vs dust.

That's why you inspect the chain at each fill-up, and touch up the cutters at least once every two fill-ups. Or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.