Smoked out again--Is it my pecan tree causing the problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He did offer but at this point I had already booked the other sweep and I want another opinion from someone not involved in the company that sold and installed the stove. He is the sweep my daughter used for her fireplace cleaning and inspection and has no dog in this fight. In any event, I told him that I couldn't just sit and wait for a call back from the owner as promised, so I went ahead and called another sweep to come out. I had called to speak with the owner twice yesterday after I faxed them my paperwork and emailed him the pictures of the tree and chimney. Both times I was told he was with a customer and would call me back. He didn't. When he remembered he hadn't called me back, he asked his tech to call me last evening.

Sharm, the dealer tech, said he would come out Wednesday if things were still not resolved, and personally see what is going on. He can't come before Tuesday in any case and since I already booked the other sweep I want him to inspect the chimney and spark arrestor and stove. Like the blanket issue, it may be something that was overlooked by the dealer's sweeps.

SLC Burning said:
How was this resolved? I have a similar issue and am wondering what came of it.

Hi. Well, it wasn't my tree-that's for sure. The 2nd chimney sweep (who is also a firefighter) that came out took the cap off my chimney and found the bottom half of my screen was totatlly clogged. He could tell they cleaned the chimney and inside the cap, but obviously did not take it all apart and clean the bottom half of the screen. The top half was clean--but since the bottom half was not, it was causing the smoke to come in my house due to no draft.

Since I saw the first guys take off the top, and use a wire brush on their drill to clean the cap, I had assumed they cleaned it properly. Won't be using them again--and this was the company that did my install.

Thanks. I just climbed on my roof and found my screen was completely clogged as well. Now I just need to figure out how to get it off.

If anyone needs a quick, temporary fix... I just poked a screwdriver through the build up and the draft is now strong as ever. This will allow my current load to burn so I can remove and clean the spark arrestor once it's cooled off.

Status
Not open for further replies.