smokeing eko 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Install draft inducer on stack.
I am doing this for my gasifier... using a standard 3 way switch... one direction turns boiler off and draft inducer on... the other position turns boiler on and draft inducer off. This way there is no chance of walking away from the boiler and accidentally leaving the draft inducer on and overheating the stove if it should need to idle for a bit.
hope this helps.

Or, don't load wood until it burns down to coals. Or, open the bottom door and the bypass damper, wait about 30 seconds, and you should be able to open the top loading door with little or no smoke.

There's nothing wrong with the boiler. That's normal. You just have to figure out how to work around it.

Simplest and best answer is in Eric's post: Don't open until it has burned down to coals. That's the right time to add more wood anyway. If you have to open it earlier, open the door slowly to let the exhaust velocity build up.

I agree with all of the above, but when needed the draft fan is handy. My stack is short and will at times have low draft. High enough for the regular burn but too low for filling when there is still wood burning, like right after starting the fire. Do a search on AD-1 draft inducer, and check this link. http://www.tjernlund.com/Retail/auto-draft.htm

Henk.

The draft inducers are nice for those "heavy" days in the fall and spring when you just can't seem to get good draft no matter what you have for a chimney. If you check around you can get the ad-1 pretty reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.