1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Smokeless coal to 'overnight' my wood fire?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jtcedinburgh, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtcedinburgh

jtcedinburgh New Member

Loc:
    Fife Riviera, Scotland
    Hi.

My stove is multi-fuel, and one slightly disappointing thing is that I just can't get an overnight burn - say the last log goes in at 11pm, the red glow seems to be gone by 1am. It's not a huge stove but I expected longer burns from wood.

Someone suggested putting in some smokeless coal just before retiring would be one way of at least prolonging the heat output, and I wanted to run that past folks to see if it's likely to sustain my heat until approx. 0615 when I have to get up.

Pros/cons welcome...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    Can you give us some stats on your stove ? Name, model etc. ? This does not sound right at all unless your using an extremely small stove of some type and soft wood.

I load mine at 1 am and it goes easily until 11 am the next day, lots of red hot coals by then and still putting heat in the house by blower.

Are you dampering down ?

Robbie
  3. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    I know on my Morso I can turn the air almost all the way off and get an 8+ hour burn with a good load of Oak.
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    A morso owl should get more than 3 hours. That said it is truely dependant on the wood. Lately I've been burning some pine for evening fires and as large a peice as I can shove into the stove will only last about 2-3 hours. After that there's literally nothing left. Same size peice of elm or oak would still have glowing coals after 8 hours.

I guess coal would work, but coal fires see to like critical mass, and just a few peices here and there probably won't work so well, but heck...try it.
  5. senorFrog

senorFrog New Member

When u say burn, do you mean burn, with secondary in full force and box full of flames. Or do you mean more like a weak burn or just embers?
  6. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Different woods react differently. The Pine seems to produce flames for about 3/4 of the burn, then goes to coal for a little while then seems to dissapear before your eyes...I think that stuff is all gas. Whereas Oak or elm burns more slowly and a lot longer, but the coals stay there glowing for a long time. in the morning the coals are still there under ashes but still very much alive.
  7. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    I mean like my stack temp stays at or around 325 degrees for an overnight burn and I can open the door, add logs and open the damper a bit and have the stack temp hit 450 in a few minutes.

I have had perfect beds of coals and stack temps over 250 after 10 hours with the right wood (big Oak rounds and splits)
  8. Homefire

Homefire New Member

Aye get some lump and see if if works, just remember coal needs air from the bottom
    not the top.
  9. jtcedinburgh

jtcedinburgh New Member

Loc:
    Fife Riviera, Scotland
    Thanks. I've got a few questions that I'm going to move to another topic. I might try some smokeless coal and see how I go...
  10. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.