smokey basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
hi all.i hav a 2 flue chimney,one for the fire place and one for the venting of my hot water heater which is natural gas.iput in a pellet stove on the other end of the house 3 years ago and dont realy use the fireplace much anymore.we put a cap on chimney maybe 2 yrs ago just to keep birds out.(had uninvited guests in my house twice).whenever i burn a fire i get a very strong smoke smell in my basement.someone suggested taking the alluminum cap off cause the smoke is rising up,billowing around the cap and possibly being sucked back down the flue designated to the water heater.
any input greatly appreciated

I assume you are refering to a fire in the fireplace in the basement, not in the pellet stove. I recommend a search on stack effect and basement fireplaces. You are describing a very typical issue when two flues are in use. My concern is that if smoke is coming down the flue for your water heater, then so is the exhaust for your water heater also entering the room. Do you have a CO sensor in that space?

The only way to fix the real issue with second flue is to make sure they are both drafting positively. Anything else will only keep the smoke out, but won't ensure the water heater flue is drafting positively when operating, and that could kill someone with the resultant CO.

my fireplace is on 1st floor of the house.hot water heater is in the basement

yes on the CO2 detector

My basement fireplace does the same thing. I have sealed the flue shut with silicone caulk, but I still get a smoky smell down there sometimes.

corkman said:
yes on the CO2 detector

picky, but it's a CO detector vice CO2 detector. Lots of Carbon Dioxide around - we make it when we breathe. Carbon Monoxide is what kills.

Glad you have it. Let us know what your thoughts are after looking at the article quoted. As well, check out the woodburners guide in my signature block - good detail there as well on stack effect.

CleanBurnin said:
corkman said:
yes on the CO2 detector

picky, but it's a CO detector vice CO2 detector. Lots of Carbon Dioxide around - we make it when we breathe. Carbon Monoxide is what kills.

Glad you have it. Let us know what your thoughts are after looking at the article quoted. As well, check out the woodburners guide in my signature block - good detail there as well on stack effect.

CO2 = good . . . it puts the fizz in soda and the bubbles in beer

CO = bad . . . it put the little Xs in your eyes if you've inhaled too much

Come to think of it . . . if you take in too much beer and drive you may end up with little Xs in your eyes too . . . or at the very least end up with a black eye when you decide to take on that 6 foot 7 inch linebacker who you think was hitting on your gal. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Come to think of it . . . if you take in too much beer and drive you may end up with little Xs in your eyes too . . .

Hmm, I've seen those too.

Attachments

• dosequistin.jpg
    dosequistin.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 216
Status
Not open for further replies.