Smokey flame this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indoorairpro

Jan 27, 2011
NE PA
My stove seams to be running on the smokey side this year. I know about adjusting outside air damper etc but I can smell stove when i am outside and that never happened before. It looks like its burning fine. No unusual build up of anything. Only thing different is I added about five ft of vertical pipe that I did not have last year and am using a different brand of pellets. I notice the new pellets have more wood dust then last years.
What is formula for reducing smoke, more air ?

Look at the stove like a carburetor on your lawnmower. Rule out a dirty air filter, the stove don't have one. If your carburetor isn't getting enough air or the fuel mixture is too rich, the engine smokes and runs rough plus it wastes fuel. Your stove is the same... Give it more air to combust the fuel more efficiently or, cut back on the fuel a bit. I'd increase the air myself. More fuel/heat is better than less fuel/heat.

I always smell mine outside, corn or wood. I can't see visible particulates (aka:smoke) but I can always smell it. Smells good btw.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Maybe your pellets have a slightly higher moisture content this year. I can always smell that wonderful burning wood smell if I venture around to the back of my house where the vent is located. If the flames looks good and there is no visible smoke other than at start up, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.