Smokey glass on Blaze King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
While my King has been burning well,I've noticed that my glass gets a thin rusty colored smokey film in two locations. Left side starting from the top corner of the door 6 inches in length and at its widest point 3 inches.On the right side from top corner down the same scenario only its 8 inches in length and 4 inches wide. My wood is all good MM checked nothing over 19% generally averaging 16%. Now upon inspecting the door, I noticed in both locations mentioned that part of the door gasket can be seen,is this indicative of where I may be sucking air?I also skirted the doors perimeter with a charcoal grill lighter and at the locations the flame flickered and sputtered . What do I have here and what are my options. My stove was bought in March 2011 and this is my real first year burning. Thanks, PS the film I'm describing can be removed in less than a minute on both sides it's light and powdery.

Dirty glass on a BK is hardly worth mentioning. :lol:

With that said a leaky door gasket is a problem, have you tried the dollar bill test in the questionable locations? If it's an issue you can carefully put a turn on the door latch to see if that helps. The latches are really a poor spot with these stoves.

Mine is sometime pretty dark when burning on low.
I've cleaned it & it comes back pretty quick.
Learned to live with it.
Must be the way the air wash comes in from the top corners, middle area stays clean the shape of a tornado.

Attachments

• 100_7082.jpg
    100_7082.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 214
Dave, that is exactly what I got but not as much,I did do the dollar bill test can't pull it out except on the right side with alot of effort. wouldn't think the gasket needs replacing this soon,I'll try a door adjustment.

ohlongarm said:
Dave, that is exactly what I got but not as much,I did do the dollar bill test can't pull it out except on the right side with alot of effort. wouldn't think the gasket needs replacing this soon,I'll try a door adjustment.
If it took alot of effort to pull the bill out then your gasket sounds fine. If it slids right out, then you have an issue.

bogydave said:
Mine is sometime pretty dark when burning on low.
I've cleaned it & it comes back pretty quick.
Learned to live with it.
Must be the way the air wash comes in from the top corners, middle area stays clean the shape of a tornado.
Yep.
Sometimes I think the air is so slow on low burn that the air wash is actually bringing the smoke to the glass.
Not a big issue here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.