Smokey on windy night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2014
Ontario
Evening everyone. Had a strange thing happen tonight as a winter storm rolled in. I was charging my storage tanks late this morning and afternoon, burn was going as a typical one should, my tanks got to temp and then I decided to idle for the rest of the day/night to save storage in prep for the cold snap moving in this week. Anyway winds started picking up strong by 8pm'ish and when I went out to my shed to check on things it was pretty smokey. I have never encountered this before. I checked my barometric damper and it was completely closed and I could see the odd puff of smoke coming through the damper space. It wasn't plugged, chimney is not plugged cap was not obstructed, couldn't figure it out until...my son opened the outside door to see what I was doing....the damper opened half way or so and no more smoke! As long as I kept the outside door open then smoke would go where it should, but as soon as I closed the door then the damper would close. From a distance it sounds like some sort of negative pressure between outside and inside? Anyone have some insight?

Thanks.

Not enough make up air. If I forget to open my shed window a few inches before I start fire it does the same thing. It is easily noticed so I then open the window.

Reminds me, I need to set up my automatic closure so my wife doesn't have to shut window in morning before going to work.

gg

"Can be field-converted to power closed/spring return open damper".
I would think that would be the desired way, wouldn't it? In case the power goes out?

Status
Not open for further replies.