Smokie House & Damper Setting For 6041HF US STOVE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattbph

Dec 20, 2010
Dutchess County, NY
I've only been burning for a couple of days but my home seems a little smokey, is this normal? It seems that smoke was leaking from the elbow and 90 degree joints as well as some of the 12" durapipe connectors. Now that I used some special 600 degree sealant tape it seems a little better but it still seems smokie?? Is this normal? The stove is brand new as well as the duravent corn/wood pellet vent kit I bought... just wondering if this happens because the stove/piping is new??

Also, how do you know where to adjust the damper? Should the flame be really big or small? If the flame is too large can this cause the glass to accumulate lots of fly ash?

You should have no smoke or smoke smell in the house. If you still have it then you missed getting everything sealed that should be sealed.

In a dark room using a flashlight follow the venting and around the combustion blower. The smoke should show up, using a red filter on the light is even better.

The flame should be set by color and how lively it is.

The color should be yellow/orange tending toward yellow with a touch of blue just above the pellets. You need to avoid any red or dark orange with black tips. The flame should be lively but not a short very intense blowtorch. It should never be large, loopy, and angry looking.

The height will vary depending upon how high the fuel feed is.

Making damper changes should be done in small steps and providing enough time between changes to allow the flame to stabilize.

Matty said:
I've only been burning for a couple of days but my home seems a little smokey, is this normal? It seems that smoke was leaking from the elbow and 90 degree joints as well as some of the 12" durapipe connectors. Now that I used some special 600 degree sealant tape it seems a little better but it still seems smokie?? Is this normal? The stove is brand new as well as the duravent corn/wood pellet vent kit I bought... just wondering if this happens because the stove/piping is new??

Also, how do you know where to adjust the damper? Should the flame be really big or small? If the flame is too large can this cause the glass to accumulate lots of fly ash?

There should be NO smoke at all, unless this is a brand new stove that has never been burned before. If that's the case, there may be some oils from the manufacturing of the stove smoking. The stove should have been test fired outdoors first.

If you think it's the pipes causing the smoke leak, an easy way to find them is to turn on the stove after it's dark outside, and when the pellets start to smolder and smoke, shut off the lights and shine a flashlight around the pipes....you'll see the smoke source.

BTW, how many 90 degree elbows do you have? There shouldn't be more than 2.

As for the damper, here is what it says in your OWNERS MANUAL (btw, the damper handle to pull or push the damper open & closed is located in the front of the stove, under the door, centered):

"Make fine adjustments to the air/fuel with the damper located centered, under the hearth. You should pull the damper out approximately 1 inch. It may need to be pulled out more or less depending on your selected heat setting and fuel quality. Try opening or closing by a 1/4 inch at a time."

I have the 6041 multi fuel , it smoked bad the 1st two or three times ,it was new and hasn't smoked since. Also most of the (issues ) I had with the stoves heat range settings were due to, to little draft.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input! I'll check those issues later today :)

What about pellets? Does anyone suggest a certain kind? I believe the ones I bought (thank god only two bags) are crappy and burn to quick!! Could this be another cause of my glass getting foggy and ashy??

This morning when I went downstairs I couldn't see the flame at all, it looked as if the glass was covered with a white film??

Matt

The draft issue on this stove is different for every stove. I run mine almost all the way out in auto mode because the draft fan speeds up and slows down so its hard to get a steady burn or flame pattern. As for the glass the air wash system on this stove doesn't work that good on the lower settings due to low air flow. I just open the door once a day and wipe the glass off with steel wool or a scuff pad to knock off the white buildup and clean it with fireplace glass cleaner every saturday when i do my normal weekly cleaning. I have my stove on a t-stat so it goes from high to low flame when the room gets to temp to help keep them room temp steady and to help on pellet use.

Status
Not open for further replies.