Smokin Pants?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

Yesterday I was standing in front of the wood burner and the wife asked me a question and I was not paying attention to how close I was to the stove, I noticed some smoke and thought it was from the stove, nope it was my pants, never done that before.

My son did that once, but they were wet from snow so it was just steam. Did you have your long johns on?

They are a lounge pant type sorta like pajamas, I wonder how close they were to bursting into flame as there was a fair amount of smoke and when I moved my leg I realized how hot they were.

oldspark said:
Yesterday I was standing in front of the wood burner and the wife asked me a question and I was not paying attention to how close I was to the stove, I noticed some smoke and thought it was from the stove, nope it was my pants, never done that before.

I take it the summit is at least heating something, then.

BrowningBAR said:
oldspark said:

I take it the summit is at least heating something, then.
Oh yea :lol: I just dont have the top end I would like, it is keeping the house warm most of the time.

My wife and I used to live in a little 2nd floor shotgun apartment. Cheap ($200/month), above a cool bar/courtyard (In GQ's top 10 bars in the country & also where my girlfriend worked part-time making sandwiches), and with a gas heating unit on the wall (open flame with a couple of chromed wires to keep LARGE objects out). It had its charm.

One night I was standing in front of the heater in sweat pants and they started smoking. In this apartment the only thing that kept us warm was our love (as the winter wind whistled through all the cracks in the windows, walls, and under doors) and you had to stand pretty close to the heater to warm-up. The heater had melted the front of my pants (liquid!) and they were probably about to ignite when I smelled the smoke.

Dangerous stuff.

Yeah, doesn't take long standing in front of the "glass" when the fire is raging. Scary stuff!!! You can walk around for hours with a red face from staring into the stove too. Or so my wife tells me.......

cabalist said:
My wife and I used to live in a little 2nd floor shotgun apartment. Cheap ($200/month), above a cool bar/courtyard (In GQ's top 10 bars in the country & also where my girlfriend worked part-time making sandwiches), and with a gas heating unit on the wall (open flame with a couple of chromed wires to keep LARGE objects out). It had its charm.

One night I was standing in front of the heater in sweat pants and they started smoking. In this apartment the only thing that kept us warm was our love (as the winter wind whistled through all the cracks in the windows, walls, and under doors) and you had to stand pretty close to the heater to warm-up. The heater had melted the front of my pants (liquid!) and they were probably about to ignite when I smelled the smoke.

Dangerous stuff.

Wife? Girl friend???? Does your wife read this forum???? May be some real fire in your pants in the near future :cheese:

oldspark said:

:lol: Pictures!

Two years ago, just loaded the stove - watching it I started smelling a smell I never smelled before; 5 minutes later walking in circles trying to find out what was burning, I went to take off my hoodie and apparently a spark landed in the hood and was smoldering. It's amazing how big of a hole a little spark can make in a hoodie.

Adios Pantalones said:
I go with the obvious solution: lose the pants.

Until a hot spark hits a certain "area" Ouch! lol

No smoke, but sometimes my Wife will be standing next to the stove and the pants leg gets mighty hot and from time to time the pants leg falls against the leg and an instant dance occurs!

My kids thank it's funny!

Bill

Pretty sure I've seen the wife smoke some PJs on the old wall mounted gas heater, and maybe the Endeavor, too, come to think of it.

oldspark said:
They are a lounge pant type sorta like pajamas, I wonder how close they were to bursting into flame as there was a fair amount of smoke and when I moved my leg I realized how hot they were.

Good think you didn't have beans for dinner. Maybe a blood transfusion would help. ;-)

I had to throw away my best Dukes of Hazard T Shirt this summer after working in the garage. I have no idea what the fabric was made out of but some sparks from the grinder hit against my shirt and next thing I now the whole front was in flames! No burns other than some hair, but I'm not sure a normal shirt soaked in gas could have lit that fast!

Many years ago my Dad had an ice fishing cabin with a wood stove in it. The cabin was about 8x10 and there were 2 benches built on the 8ft walls. The stove was against a 10ft wall. After you factored in the wall studs and bench, the 2 guys sitting on the end near the stove had there legs pretty close to it. I remember as a little kid thinking my snow pants where going to melt off my legs but I didn't want to complain to my Dad about it. haha.

Adios Pantalones said:
I go with the obvious solution: lose the pants.

I don't like the smell of burnt hair....... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.