smoking problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ljmeola

Dec 11, 2005
I am considering putting a freestanding wood stove into our existing fireplace. We purchased our home and were excited about the fieplace we had. However, after an inspection and a green light to use it; smoke started pouring out of the fireplace. We are considering placing a wood stove in the existing space. I know we will get added heat, but will this stop our smoking problem. I have been battling with this fireplace for a year and no luck. Our flue is a rectangular 8x12 which, I think is a bit large. If a 6 inch pipe is run up my chimney out the top and capped will this prevent the smoking. I can deal with an occansial back puff but smoke pouring into my home is not acceptable. I am looking for an honest opinion before I take the plunge with the stove.

louis

It sounds like there is a problem with the fireplace in the first place. Perhaps a bird nest or other blockage in the flue after the inspection, damper not fully open, some exhaust fan, disconnected furnace duct, or other exhaust from the house which would pull air out of the house and smoke back through the chimney.

A properly installed wood stove should smoke minimally if at all. Perhaps a small puff when first lit, or maybe if the door is opened too fast under the wrong conditions. But a properly functioning fireplace should not smoke either. It would probably be good to get to the root of the smoking issue before pursuing a wood insert. But I suspect if the original issue can be solved, you will like the insert much more than the fireplace because of the true useable heat gained from the insert.

Corey

ljmeola said:
I am considering putting a freestanding wood stove into our existing fireplace. We purchased our home and were excited about the fieplace we had. However, after an inspection and a green light to use it; smoke started pouring out of the fireplace. We are considering placing a wood stove in the existing space. I know we will get added heat, but will this stop our smoking problem. I have been battling with this fireplace for a year and no luck. Our flue is a rectangular 8x12 which, I think is a bit large. If a 6 inch pipe is run up my chimney out the top and capped will this prevent the smoking. I can deal with an occansial back puff but smoke pouring into my home is not acceptable. I am looking for an honest opinion before I take the plunge with the stove.

louis

This might be backdrafting. Is this an interior or exterior chimney? What was the outside temp when you tried the fireplace?

You did not mention the opening size Sounds to me the opening may be too large to support the 8/12 flue
the rule of thumb the flue area can be no less than 1/10 the opening size
example being 30" /30" = 900 inches the flue cross-sectional area would have to be 90"

an 8/12 has a cross-sectional area of 76" meaning an opening that is 2' /2.5' if your opening is larger that, you just found your problem. Another factor is the chimney's total length, Actually code determines the length opening and flue sizes with a graft,
Does the chimney extend 3' above the roof from the least amount of exposed surface is it taller than any part of the structure within 10' by 2' there is no dommer near by effecting the height requirement? Finally the flue is totally clear of obstructions?

I understand the opening becomes a moot point if an insert or wood stove is installed. I was trying to get to the root of his initial problem smoke not exiting the chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.