Smoking Woodstove / Chimney Issue Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

savebrodeur

Nov 18, 2015
Utica
I recently purchased a home with a Hearthstone Phoenix and was having smoke trouble. After thinking that I had simply a cold chimney situation, I burned a hot fire for 20 minutes but could not seem to stop the smoking. The only way I was able to get a good draw was to open ash door completely, and even then I am getting poor draft and smoking.

So, I disconnected the stove pipe and believe I found my issue. The current setup from previous owner is a 6" resting in an 8" thimble (horizontal feed). The chimney is an exterior masonry chimney with 2 masonry flues (one unused for the basement, and the other connected to this main living room). Chimney height is about 3 stories. The problem appears to be that the thimble enters the middle of the chimney directly between both flues and not directly into the flue. The flue is actually about 18inches to the left. It seems I need a hard left turn to the left flue/smoke stack (as if the install was a mistake and the stove was placed in the center of the chimney in error. So picture a clay thimble ending against the chimney exterior wall with the flue actually to the left.

My question is can I simply add pipe to extend the stovepipe deep into thimble and angle it left into the smoke stack? I have searched many draft related issues but no luck on getting some who can relate. It is also apparent to me that this chimney is far too big for the wood stove use. It is a very beautiful/tall double chimney, but a seemingly poor install. Thanks for your help!

That's an odd situation. Good thing you caught it. Is there enough room to drop an insulated 6" liner between the flues?

That's an odd situation. Good thing you caught it. Is there enough room to drop an insulated 6" liner between the flues?

Doesn't look like it. I just lengthened the stove pipe and added an elbow to get it pointed better underneath the flue, seems to have helped a bit. But still, the only way it is able to sustain a good burn is when i leave the ashtray open partially...once it is open, the draft really picks up nicely. A friend of mine mentioned the blanket on top seemed to be real dirty and falling apart. Do the blankets get in the way of airflow if they are dirty and old? Maybe the blanket needs to be replaced... BTW I also got up to the peak and looks fine up on top of chimney

I can't visualize what you are doing. Got a picture? Is the stove pipe directly connected into a flue tile liner in the chimney?

Using the ashpan door as an air intake can be a sure way of having an expensive base replacement for the stove. Don't do that. Leave the stove door ajar until the kindling fire is strong and can ignite larger splits.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
no kidding, in order to "pull" a modern stove the flue system from collar to cap needs to be airtight, otherwise the flue (which will pull from path of least resistance ) will take air from elsewhere when the stove is buttoned up.

as BG said its a really odd setup from your description so some pictures may make this much easier to figure out

Yes, this setup also sounds like it has the potential to backdraft as the chimney cools down. That could be dangerous and even fatal given the right circumstance. It also sounds like a mess to clean if creosote has formed on the outside of the other flue tiles. We need to see what you are seeing here. but better yet you should have a certified sweep come out with a camera and examine the setup with eyes on the scene. www.csia.org

Reactions: savebrodeur
Yes, this setup also sounds like it has the potential to backdraft as the chimney cools down. That could be dangerous and even fatal given the right circumstance. It also sounds like a mess to clean if creosote has formed on the outside of the other flue tiles. We need to see what you are seeing here. but better yet you should have a certified sweep come out with a camera and examine the setup with eyes on the scene. www.csia.org

Ok, thank you all for the feedback. It seems like I simply have a no-liner chimney with a clay thimble and clay liner 3 ft section at the cap on the peak. I will try to get some photos up. I am guessing from this feedback a wood stove without a liner is a real problem? Is there ever a scenario where you can get away without a clay or steel liner? Perhaps they used fireproof block? I will try to get some photos....

Status
Not open for further replies.