1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Smooth Wall Liners

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrotherBart, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Anybody have any experience with the "smooth wall" flex liners? I have a 25 foot one inbound for my hideous pre-EPA beast. I am expecting it to be harder to handle than the single ply.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Can you supply a manufacturer so I can get educated about the liner thanks
  3. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That stuff can't possibly work. There's no way for the coriolis effect to screw the smoke up the chimney. (Warren ducks and heads for cover) :) :)

Seriously...One of my local dealers sells and installs something that looks like that. It looks great, but it's expensive and I suspect that unless your install is very straight, very hard to handle.
  5. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I know. The reason I ordered it is that I was afraid that if I got a spiraled liner and the spiral went opposite the coriolis effect of the smoke my liner would get pulled right down out of the flue and mashed up at the bottom.

Seriously...I was going to go with solid straight pipe with a piece of flex at the bottom but decided to give this a try. Twenty feet of the flue is straight as an arrow and from there I have a large smoke chamber to work with. If it won't work I will use it on the other flue which is a straight shot down to the basement stove thimble.

Wrestling it on the roof has got me concerned. Of course, typical of all my planning, the one thing that I figure will be a problem will be the least of the troubles I have with the job.
  6. Turner-n-Burner

Turner-n-Burner New Member

Loc:
    North of Boston
    Does that stuff have insulative properties because of the double wall? or do you still need to wrap it with an insulation blanket?

-Dan
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I haven't seen any claims to that effect and I doubt that it does since the plys are in contact with each other.
  8. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    That stuff looks alot like the old simpson dura-flex. My installers loved that product. It was pretty expensive but didnt have a problem selling it. Im talking in past tense because simpson now uses a different material for there flex liners. Its more like the standard stuff, at the same price as the old.

It doenst bend as well as the typical corrigated stuff,its heavier, easier to clean, more durable, and no, there isnt realy any insulation properties.
  9. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Eliminates the inherent turbulence that light weight corrugated liners induce.
    There’s no way for the coriolis effect to screw the smoke up the chimney

0.06 x 2 construction­ twice as thick as lumpy 1-ply liners.

2-ply smoothwall design offers superb draft and clean combusting appliances.

Extremely strong, flexible construction that can be winched.

No need to upsize diameter due to capacity loss from corrugation.
    People thought I made this up the drag from corrrugation and code requiring it to be up sized due to additional friction

Allegheny Ludlum prime 316-L and AL294C alloys exclusively used.
    316 is much better grade than the 304

Lifetime Warranty

3” to 16” I.D. diameters available and in stock.

Super-Flow™ 2-ply utilizes state of the art flex liner components.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.