snake gaitors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatsTwice

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
During a Sierras prep hike up and down the mountain behind my house with a 50 lb pack on, I missed being bitten by a large rattle snake. I accidentally thwacked it in the head with my right walking pole as it was making its strike towards my lower leg. The whole thing was a supprise as it didn't start rattleing until I after I bonked it. Wow, a mad rattler can be loud!

I was lucky. The anti-venom alone cost $80K plus hospital fees would have really put a dent in the old budget and 60 mile hiking trip later that week.

I have decided to buy a set of these and wear them from now on:

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...e.asp?mi=4474&title=SuperFabric+Snake+Gaiters

Anyone else tried them? At $70 they seem like a good deal compared to the alternative.

What happens if they bit you at the knee?

KC

I'm just curious, how much wood do you burn in Santa Rosa? What's your "winter" weather season?

Hi,

If I were bitten in the knee, the snake would probably bounce off my knee cap.

Saw plus back pack would be too heavy but ideal.

As for my burn rate, my burn season usually starts about the 20th of October and runs till mid April or late March.

I burn about a cord a month but I work outa my house so I burn 24-7. I currently have about 10 cords ready and seasoned.

But I have so much wood, sometimes I burn cause I can.

I actually was running a video camera when the snake struck but missed him by the time he slithered into the bushes. This is what it (and I) sounded like:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutfool?feature=mhee

Status
Not open for further replies.