Snake ID ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
OK gang. What kinda snake is this thing?

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 546
Does it taste like chicken? Or more like Ferret? Rick

BeGreen said:

It is grey but that pretty much looks like it. I am going to break my Biblical tradition for the first time. I am not going to smite its head before it gets a chance to smite my heal. I come from rattlesnake country originally so normally I only know two kinds of snakes. Live ones and a minute later dead ones.

A bigger version of this one was what was sitting on top of one of the servers to great me a few weeks ago. This one was hanging out on the stack when I decided to roll back the rubber roofing for the first rainless few hours in months.

Thanks. And the snake thanks you.

Bart, I come from copperhead country and I know what you mean, but if they're non poisonous leave them alone. They compete with other snakes for food. So if you have a mess of non poisonous ones around, that means they're less poisonous ones to hurt you. Aside from being startled when I first see them, I'm glad to have them, but not in the house.

The name threw me, but the description says they can range from grey to reddish-brown. After living back east, I'm not fond of snakes either, but leave the good ones alone.

I have been surprised by the lack of copperheads here since we moved in. It seems that a delapidated sawmill and lots or rock outcroppings used to sit up here right where our house is and folks in the area referred to it as Copperhead Ridge.

BrotherBart said:
... right where our house is and folks in the area referred to it as Copperhead Ridge.

<<<SHIVER>>>>

I think that snake in the picture is what we call "Wally no shoulders flat snake". Oh, my mistake, thats what we called them AFTER we.......never mind.

Was going to say, Looks more like a milk snake but that looks like the pic there...

I'm surprised someone didn't say that looks like pine.

Definitely not a milk snake, but that's about all I know...

Keep the snake if it's not poisonous. He'll keep the mice and bad snakes out of the servers.

Backwoods Savage said:
Definitely not a milk snake, but that's about all I know...

Many typed of milk snakes - eastern is what I meant. Big differences there...

BeGreen said:
I'm surprised someone didn't say that looks like pine.

Nope. Big hunka dry oak. That just saw the sun for the first time when I uncovered the reptile.

bruce56bb said:
Definitely a Rattleheadedcoppermoccasin.

You mean Coppeheadedrattlermoccasin?

cmonSTART said:
Don't know. Try to find out the BTU content.

I will just get the BTUs from the skin. I went back this afternoon and he had shed it and taken off.

Jeez BB, you scared it right out of it's skin! Poor little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.