Snake on the woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleZ

Oct 18, 2007
Nassau, NY
My first post with a picture so it's both a test and a post. Took the tarp off and saw this sucker on the wood last year. Startled at first but then grabbed the camera so I could find out if it was venomous or not. Turned out to be an eastern milksnake.

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 909
Milk Snake or not................I hate snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC

Eastern milk is great on corn flakes, but you gotta be careful milking those things.

Whoa looks dangerous to me. I don't know if a camera would be the first thing I'd grab. Nice pic.
What happend to it? Did it just leave?

We get them all the time. The first time I saw a non-garter snake I freaked out. The milk snakes come in different colors and hues, so they almost all look different.

I'd rather meet a snake out in my garden than some drunken yob with a knife out in the street...... :)

A dead snake is a good snake.

Here's one I found when I was moving some galvanized roofing. They look and sound dangerous but aren't. They will even shake their tail like a rattler.

Snake-2.gif

Snake-1.gif

I'm no snake lover myself, I tried to pick it up with a stick to throw it over the bank but it slithered off and got away. They look a lot like cottonmouths or water-moccasins from what I've read.

Found little gartar snakes out in the garden and then this past summer our son had a 4 ft black rat snake in his room trying to crawl out the window. His room is on the 2nd floor! Still trying to figure how this thing got past the dogs.

WOODplay said:
buckstove said:
A dead snake is a good snake.

Yes, Now where is that axe when you NEED one!

I don't understand the need to kill harmless critters.

I have a friend that lives in the country. A few winters back he found a couple black snakes in the dug out "basement" and killed them. Right after that he was infested with field mice. Now he keeps any snakes he finds down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.