snake people

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
i would like a id on this guy. i had my face in front of a circuit panel ready to reach up above it when this guy came out from behind it about a foot to foot and a half away from my face sliding on top of the rocks on a granite foundation. carpenter on the job stuck his pry bar near him and he tried to bite it.
IMG_20161101_124825_276.jpg

I had just purchased a house, and was push mowing the back unkempt lawn to rehab it when the exact same looking snake stood up right in front of the mower. my first encounter with a snake. he was extremely mad standing up in an S type pose. Not wanting to take any chance i took him out with a .177 co2 pistol. nice and clean. Was really freaked out still having 85% of the lawn to do, but i never saw another one like it after that. I did see some easily identifiable garden snakes and let them go. This one just looked like bad news to me.

Reactions: 7acres
I'm thinking that is a common milk snake. Their colour can vary. Not venomous, but will bite and draw some blood. Generally 2'-3' is a big one. But a snake person will know more.

Not a fan of snakes of any kind but have tolerated garter snakes. If I was greeted by that guy, especially in the aggressive position the Dr. encountered, I would freak. Thanks guys, still have to crawl under the house to run the cat6 <>

Glad to hear it isn't venomous ...

Unwanted snakes in houses are not fun.
We had a large black rat snake get trapped in the house and he was ticked. We got him somewhat trapped in a mud room and I approached him with the attitude that he could only leave either by the exterior door on his own, or in my grasp. I wasn't going to let him escape into the main part of the house no matter what. (Seeing a snake in the house is one thing, just knowing its there somewhere is another).
Luckily he chose to leave by door when offered the chance.

Reactions: Lake Girl
thanks for the id. i was trying to id but found the coloring was not exact to the pictures that i was seeing. i know it always isn't the case but when i seen the red spots i backed away.

Theres directions on the internet about how to make a snake catcher. its basically easy - a pipe - pvc is ok, with a cap on it. drill 2 holes in the cap and run 1 end of the cable into the open side without the cap. loop it into the other hole in the cap and run back out of the open end of the pipe.

you should now have a pipe that has a cable loop on 1 end and cable sticking out the opposite end. when you pull the cable the loop tightens. you put the loop around the snake and then pull the cable so it grabs the snake.

what you choose to do after youre standing there holding a snake stuck to a pipe is anyones guess.

Theres directions on the internet about how to make a snake catcher. its basically easy - a pipe - pvc is ok, with a cap on it. drill 2 holes in the cap and run 1 end of the cable into the open side without the cap. loop it into the other hole in the cap and run back out of the open end of the pipe.

you should now have a pipe that has a cable loop on 1 end and cable sticking out the opposite end. when you pull the cable the loop tightens. you put the loop around the snake and then pull the cable so it grabs the snake.

what you choose to do after youre standing there holding a snake stuck to a pipe is anyones guess.

Snake in a pipe! I could perform some wonderful pranks with that.

A number of years ago, a good sized bear sat down in my inlaw's back yard (rural western Massachusetts) to munch the neighbor's (poorly secured) garbage.

My mother in law called the state police, who eventually showed up. The trooper verified that the animal in the back yard was, indeed, a bear.

My MIL asked "what are you going to do about the bear?"

The trooper asked "Mam, what would you like me to do about the bear?"

MIL: "Catch it and take it away."

Trooper: "Mam, we trap them in Pittsfield, Westfield, etc., and let them loose in the woods up here..."

First and only time I've ever seen my MIL completely speechless... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.