Snakes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We accidently found a great way to keep snakes off from the property.... Jack Russel Terrier. Our guy, Jake, protects our frog pond, shed, and garden like its his full time job and caught himself a gardner snake the other day. Fortunetly, for his sake, there are hardly any poisenous snakes in this area. He also works hard to keep all other wild animals out of his yard. I think the dog believes he's about 10 times bigger than he really is.

Josh,

With our pooch we have similar experience Eva is mix of Rot, Newfy, Chow...about 75 lbs... she can't get near the moth balls and does not like them. She guards the frog pond also. One day she was barking and I figured it was a snake on the lawn...sure enough...as I got to the sliding door, she had it in her mouth and flung the snake about 15 feet in the air into the cedar hedge...I just about fell over I was laughing so hard...Not sure if she picked it up first to play.. or the snake tried to strike and then she grabbed it. Suzanne did not believe me....the next day while weeding buy the pond she sees a 2 1/2 ft long grass snake that is all torn up...but still moving.

Ran across a Gartner snake on Saturday last. He was as suprised as I was and actaully coiled up and faux struck like he was going to jump. Wife was more suprised and next thing I know, she's the the machette and is ready to use said machette till I pointed out that snakes=less mice, field or otherwise...we live where our house backs to woods...so...lesser of 2 evils lives on to slither another day thankfully.

I never realized how aggressive a gartner could/can be till I verified the snake with web and book on snakes and read in depth about them and their habits.

My neighbor has one of those little, puffy white dogs. He's smaller than my wife's big, fat cats. One thing I'll say about Murphy, what he lacks in stature, he more than makes up for in both enthusiasm and attitude.

SNAKE REPELLENT REDUX:

product: Snake-a-Way

ingredients: 7% Naphtalene
28% Sulphur
65% Inert Ingredients (seems mostly to be clay, like kitty litter)

so, they still make this stuff. Its still available as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.